Hello All..just Bought A 99' Ls400.

LS4Million

I just bought a 1999 LS400 with 120k miles for 5100. No accidents, 1 Owner, Everything possible seems to have been done maintenance wise (shocks, mounts, brakes, you name it) on it except the water pump. Was funny because it has the 10k,15k,30k,60k,90k,120k service all done at the dealer and they opted not to change the water pump along with the timing belt at 90k miles. I'm pretty sure I paid a good price for the car since it has all the options available for it minus the navigation. Not totally sure tho. Just wondering how imperative it is that I get this water pump changed. Thanks for the input guys.

I have a 2000 LS400 Platinum Series which is very much like yours. If your timing belt had been changed per the recommended maintenance schedule (90,000 miles or 6 years), your car would now be on its third timing belt.

I've never done a timing belt change myself but the indie shop I use always replaces the belt, water pump, idlers, tensioner and a few other small parts.

LS400 waterpumps got far more reliable as the years passed.. The waterpump on my 90 LS seized in the mid-90's at about 75,000 miles ... I smelled coolant and then BANG ... the car rolled to a stop. What you do is up to you but I tend to the careful side.

I had the timing belt and all the other parts I mentioned changed in 2007 at 90,000 miles and exactly seven years on my 2000 LS400. If I still own the car in summer of 2014, I will have the timing belt and other parts replaced for a second time at 180,000 miles and about 14 years from its in-service date.

The 99 LS specs including the option list can be viewed at http://www.lexus.com...1999LSspecs.pdf

Be glad that you don't have the horrible 98-00 navigation system. The attached photo shows my nav solution. I recently had a custom aux-in added to the back of my radio with an on/off button on the front (not shown in this photo) by a California company - can stream audio from my Phone (e.g. Pandora, Slacker, TuneIn) to my audio system at what seems like CD quality. My Samsung phone being Android sends data to the Garmin using the Garmin Smart Link app for Android and the Garmin also provides handsfree phone service. I can also initiate phone calls to POI's on the Garmin. It's a very cool set up for an old car.

post-2157-0-91003100-1360889706_thumb.jp

• 1 month later...
  • 10 years later...

Water pump is a relatively inexpensive item considering the labor cost to replace it is same as a new timing belt - EXPENSIVE.  Should as a rule of thumb always be changed out when a new timing belt is replaced.