2008 Ls460 Engine Surges Rpm Fluctuates When Stepping On Gas Around 35

Im getting loss of power, engine surging, sputtering, sort of jerking and rpm fluctuation. Happens around 35mph, I will depress the gas pedal and there is about 5 sec hesitation, , a deep throat sound, engine slowly picks up power and then surges and sputters...will pick up good power and all this wierdiness will stop after a bit. but happens occasionally. It seems to be worse on hot and humid days. Car has 70,000 miles. Spark plugs have never been changed yet. Additionally there are not any engine instrument warning or caution lights associated with this strange power loss. I have had the diagnostic computer attached while driving but it does not pick up any symptoms. Any suggestions anyone?

Jeff, thanks for reading and replying. As a matter of fact this all started after my last oil change. My initial thought was somehow a sensor got disconnected. I took it back and we checked but nothing obvious.

There have been many reports of this oil-change-correlated phenomenon in other forums. I have my theory as to what causes this. My car exhibits this strange performance issue for a few hundred miles after each oil changes and then, without anything being done, returns to perfect. I have a 2007 LS460 that was purchased new. I have seen some indications that Lexus is aware of this but nothing to indicate that they have an understanding or fix. Please let us know how this plays out for you.

• 2 months later...

I also have a 2007 LS460 which I purchased new.

I have been having the same problem, intermitent power loss.

It runs great for a while then starts that same loss of power cutting in and out during acceleration.

The transmission down shiofts adn the RPM's go up, but there is no power.

It is a very dangerous occurance, especially if you are trying to pass someone on a two lane road.

I have had mine into Lexus three times and they can't find anything.

with this many people having similiar issues, there has to be a problem of some kind.

Please let me know if you find a soluton to the problem.

I entered a segment yesterday about having this problem with my 2007 LS460.

I just received word from my dealer that they found the problem.

Lexus issued a Bulletin about this problem and is very aware of it.

Problem results from the valves sometimes not seatting properly which results in intermitent power loss, rough ideling, etc.

The solution is a new set of heads and valves.

Maybe this info will be useful to others.

Just to let you know I have the same problem with my 2008 LS460. About a year and a half ago I had the Valve Spring Recall replacement done. After 6 months the surges started ironically after an oil change. Wonder if Lexus is going to send out something similar to a recall for fixing the problem. It can lead to a very dangerous situation like mentioned in some other threads.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

We just bought a used 2007 LS460 L 3 weeks ago. Had it into dealership already for some minor issues. Driving it home the engine seemed to be bogging down in Sport & regular mode. We do not have any kind of warranty. Suggestions would be appreciated on what to do.

I spent long hours researching this topic and spoke with many professionals in the field...here is what they recommended and then I will tell you what I did

MOC 05561 can be found in the MX-3100N which is a decarb kit that must be installed by a professional...they claimed success with the replacement.

I could not get the kit here through the postal system so I elected to change all sparkplugs. I have never experienced any more issues since the replacement. The plugs actually looked pretty good with 70,000 miles on them, could have been a bad connection posibally rendering one or more cylinders not to work properly. Anyway, it did the trick for me. I sure hope you get yours fixed. Since replacement of the sparkplugs I have changed the oil a couple of times and the car is running like a new car.

Good Luck!!!administrator_20130304_124255(1).pdf

• 1 month later...

Thanks Gerald. Hoping it is something simple because would hate to return the car. Have not even made a payment on it yet. Going to keep my fingers crossed.

hi! did u solve the problem? Because the spark plugs changing doesnt works for me :(

I spent long hours researching this topic and spoke with many professionals in the field...here is what they recommended and then I will tell you what I did

MOC 05561 can be found in the MX-3100N which is a decarb kit that must be installed by a professional...they claimed success with the replacement.

I could not get the kit here through the postal system so I elected to change all sparkplugs. I have never experienced any more issues since the replacement. The plugs actually looked pretty good with 70,000 miles on them, could have been a bad connection posibally rendering one or more cylinders not to work properly. Anyway, it did the trick for me. I sure hope you get yours fixed. Since replacement of the sparkplugs I have changed the oil a couple of times and the car is running like a new car.

Good Luck!!!attachicon.gifadministrator_20130304_124255(1).pdf

Hi! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wcUIaULJnXs did u experience the same problem? Because I tried what u wrote (spark plugs chainging) but was not success :(

• 2 months later...

I had oil change at Toyota dealer in Wilmington, NC and experienced a few days of inadequate engine power. Like many experiences already described on this forum, acceleration was anemic, and there was no power for highway passing maneuvers. It was like the transmission was stuck in a higher gear and wouldn't downshift. There was also mild stuttering from the engine at moderate speeds like fuel delivery was being interrupted intermittently. After a few days the problems seemed to vanish. The nearest Lexus dealer is 120 miles from Wilmington, and travel there for a problem which vanishes is out of the question. Do you think Hendrick Toyota in Wilmington gets the technical bulletins on this bizarre problem?

• 6 months later...

I have a 2007 LS 460 since new and have had the same problem. The dealer has tried many fixes including resting my computer which worked for a short period of time. I kept bringing back to the dealer once it started again but unless you bring it in while it is happening and they drive it, they say they don't find anything wrong. I was able to bring it in one day which it was happening. It was happening during a very hot humid day. They took the car and make some adjustments one of which was changing over to synthetic oil. that worked well for a year till three weeks ago when I took it in for an oil change. This car has only 54,000 miles on it. It started that hesitation as I was pulling out of the dealership. I turned around and brought it right back I talked with the service manger an reminded him of how many times I have brought the car back for this problem. He kept the car for just over two weeks changing the cylinder heads and valves. I have had the car back for a few days and it runs better than it ever has. There is a Lexus Bulletin L-SB-0033-08 that talks about this problem. This is the fix but cost about $10,000.00 at the dealer. I was lucky to have an extended warranty. By the way, my amplifier and lumber seat motor went out a couple of weeks before.

Ihar

• 2 weeks later...