Basic Info Needed

KyLs400dude

I've been trying to look up some parts/accessories for my '97 LS400...I was just wondering a couple of things. First, as far as the LS400's go, what years of LS400's make up most of the same parts? (ex. 94, 95, 96, 97, etc) Second, is there a model designation (other than LS400) given to my vehicle? (ex. my old BMW was designated an E46, not a 325i, at least as far as BMW was concerned) Thanks for any specifics!

There are some "UCF" designations but just about nobody uses them when referring to LS400's - nothing like the BMW designations.

The two LS400 "generations" are described at http://www.lexls.com/info/lsgenerations.html

"Generation One" includes the "series I" (90-92) and the substantially different but similar looking "series II" (93-94).

"Generation One" includes the "series III" (95-97) and the substantiall different and less similar looking "series IV" (98-00).

Most of the body and mechanicals of the 95-97 are the same and some are shared with the 98-00. The 97 was a transitional year and has some features similar to the 98 - particularly the 97 Coach Edition.

There were lots of running changes throughout the LS400 run -- checking the VIN is sometimes very important when buying parts.

good job Jim, that is about as clear as I have ever seen it. and yes use the VIN when ordering parts.

In other words "dude", they started with a great product, and just kept making it better, year by year. or should I say mile after mile.