Check Vsc Message

HorusMirik

Hello. I've seen a number of VSC entries on this site and was wondering if anyone has tried DIY device like the Innova 3030 and if so what's your opinion of the device. I own a 2006 Lexus GS300 and experienced the VSC debacle this week. My car has been at the dealership since Thursday afternoon. They said it was "only" a defective gas cap initially and I would be $145 lighter in the pocket for their efforts. This evening they called and said they found another error code of "O2" and it wouldn't be ready until Monday. Is this GS generation made to fail with this VSC-faulty-gas cap deal or what? I never had this problem with my 2nd generation GS. Just sayin...

VSC vehicle skid control . If the check engine lamp comes on a code has been stored for a potential fault in the engine management system . Because this could be input related the VSC system is turned off , illuminating the VSC indicator.

VSC can also illuminate independently if there is a problem within that system.

Your car had a (P0440 and P0441) this indicates evaporative emissions small leak .

Fuel cap, hole in a hose , rodent damage, etc.these codes are engine system related, but , VSC is still shut off , and therefor the lamp is illuminated.

Codes give us a direction, that's all , data can help us determine a cause , it's about a diagnosis not a guess.

Thanks for the feedback, It seems that you are on the other end of the spectrum; a mechanic or there worthy of being one and I respect that. I guess my main point was can an Average Joe DIY something that Lexus portrays as so complex?? It's connection a code a code reader, sourcing the problem and making the necessary adjustments/ replacements without involving a dealer that is commissioned based? My issue was apparently a small thing that I could have resolved on my on my purchasing an OBD ($20-$100) and this would have all been done Thursday. Now it will be done Monday. My cup of faith and integrity for the dealership is starting to leak.I was really wondering if the DIY devices were worth it. I just order order one... trial and error. It cost less than the diagnostic fee Lexus is charging. James, are you a mechanic in the DFW area?

I am a Lexus Master technician and i have also held master certification with Datsun, Nissan and Honda.

I live in northern Indiana.

For your situation, we use a laptop called Techstream, its not just a code reader but a diagnosis device.

When i perform a heath check it access all systems and their ability to communicate, codes (when and why ),time stamps.

Your car P0440 and P0441, if it hasnt been touched, I look at the engine data list (4pages long) for fuel tank pressure sensor i look at that value, if incorrect i can confirm your fuel cap is loose or faulty without opening the fuel door.To then confirm this diagnosis I have the ability to do a automatic evaporative emission check, it runs all the tests the ECM runs when the system check enable criteria is confirmed.I can also use a smoke machine to see if there are any other leaks.Techstream is a 8000.00 unit and dealers pay a servce fee to use the software.My training schedule is governed by Lexus not the dealer.

If you didnt know the outcome (fuel cap) how would you proceed?

I have been "flat rate" for 28 years, its tough, but it can make you smart, know your craft inside and out (product knowledge) and fast. With the complexity of the new cars and the expectations of dealer managers and customer it will have to change soon.There are few new techs coming into the business because of the work / education loads.

I suggest you find a tech that will talk with you, for information and self education and to have a trust worthy person to take care of your Lexus, that will be worth the diagnosis fee alone.