Lexus Customer Service-Help

bkath2000

Back in June my husband was involved in a car accident. We picked up the car from the body shop and as we drove off the lot we noticed a loud noise coming from the rear of the vehicle. We circled back to the shop and were told it was a mechanical issue so we needed to take it to the dealer.

We took it to the dealer and they told us that they were only 99% sure that the problem was caused by the accident. Because of their decision - we had to pay for it and then insurance wouldn't cover it. I contacted the dealer because I used to be a representative for a major auto manufacturer and managing these sorts of issues out in the field for customers was my job. The dealer told me to contact Lexus directly, which I did.

Since July, I have been going back and forth with Lexus. You can never speak to the person who is "responsible" for your claim - they have to call you back - which oftentimes takes 4-5 days. And when they call you they won't leave a message and explain the status, rather they just say to call them back. Which you do - and they are busy - so the phone tag continues.

They initially came back and said they would pay for the part (this was a $1200 repair). I explained to them that i felt that they should pay for at least half of the labor. My last call to Lexus was the most frustrating - I called back to see if they had considered paying for half of the labor. I was told by the representative that if I wanted Lexus to pay for half of the labor I needed to send in paperwork. This comment was particularly upsetting to me because

1) I have been speaking to them for four months now - never once has anyone mentioned anything about paperwork

2) I had the work done at their dealer - they have the paperwork!

When I told the representative that no one in four months had mentioned paperwork she became indignant claiming I must have misunderstood the process. To add insult to injury she claimed there was NOTHING in my file to show that I had ever asked them to pay for half the labor. This four months has been beyond frustrating for me. I love our cars but the customer service is just appalling. Making customers wait MONTHS because of phone tag is unacceptable. The final straw was when I received a letter from Joy Gustave from Lexus telling me she hadn't been able to get a hold of me- when I have been trying to get a hold of her!!

In my family, we currently have 6 Lexus vehicles. My husband and I both drive them, both of my parents and my sister and her husband. It is absolutely unacceptable that Lexus treats their customers in this fashion. I am disheartened by their lack of customer service.

Has anyone else had this experience - if so - can you offer any advice?

First off if the deals said it was caused by the accident the insurance company that paid for the accident should cover the repair...not Lexus. I would say your lucky that the are willing to cover the part.

By the way welcome to the club! :cheers:

Welcome bkath to the LOC.

I don't blame you for being ticked off. What a saga. The first thing that confuses me is why the dealer wouldn't or couldn't say the accident was the cause. If the said they were 99% sure, why would anybody in their right mind just say 100%. IMO that would not be commiting fraud.

Fortunetly, Lexus has a excellent network of dealers. But, through the Club's site here I have heard several complaints regarding Lexus customer service above and beyound the dealer level. My own experience has been lukewarm. My questions and/or problems were not complicated and the rep. helped within one call. Others have been like you. It seem's there is no real call center like most companies have, because as you point out, no one is able to give you a name or a number or tell if or when they can call you back. The oddest thing is that Lexus has heard all of these complaints and nothing ever changes.

Frankly, I don't have any advice. I would keep future communication in writen form. Some have contacted their state consumer protection division for a letter to be sent to Lexus. Personaly, I like having a Lawyer friend write a letter or loan you a sheet of his letter head and write a blistering letter to Lexus. LOL

Your best bet is to put some strong pressure on your dealer. Anyone who has purchased six Lexi is a customer a dealer wants to keep. The person who can move Lexus the most is the General Manager of your dealer.

Paul