Repacing Starter

crullbri

Well, im ready for a big told you so. had to replace the starter in my 1991 ls400, had car sold and 1 day later i get a call that it wont start, just clicks. i figure the starter, so i replace with a Auto Zone rebuilt thinking it is good enough for a 190k car. spent 8 hours changing and try to start and now the starter just spins and does not turn over the motor. now after many beers i figure i got a bad starter from the store. ready to tear into it again and start over. maybe this time i will take the time to write about and take pics. lesson learned you get what you pay for.

Try the replacement on your car battery before fitting it, connect the casing to -ve and the other big terminal to +ve then with your foot on the starter touch the other small terminal to the battery +ve the motor should spin and the gear move out.

Try the replacement on your car battery before fitting it, connect the casing to -ve and the other big terminal to +ve then with your foot on the starter touch the other small terminal to the battery +ve the motor should spin and the gear move out.

smart move...

Good idea but be careful. Don't balance the starter on toolbox or small table unattended. A starter motor is 3-5HP! It draws a lot of current (and the peak current is when you first start it). It also has sizable weight. Use suitable wire gauge for something that has a peak current of >200A.... (think jumper cable or larger)

Why not just mount the new starter into its original position and crank it for a brief period? It should be able to turn the flywheel(flexplate) even if briefly.