Need Help Identifying This Engine Part. Please.

chococat

post-18457-0-37664500-1349310785_thumb.j

The canister looking thing right in the middle of the picture, including hoses.

When you open the hood, it is to the right of the engine.

Looks like it's coming off the fuel rail. It is broken & have no idea what the name for the whole piece including the hose is.

I replaced the back valve cover gasket a few weeks ago and since I buttoned the car back up, I smell a faint vapory fuel type smell in the cabin that gets brought in from the engine. It is either THAT piece I believe, or I also need a new PCV hose, as I replaced the PCV valve and the hose didn't fit quite right.

Going to auto parts store tomorrow & it would help if I knew what the canister looking thing was.

Any help would be appreciated. ^_^

I can't find anything in the manual, I've seen them , believe it is a fuel return dampener , it comes off the fuel rail return. Get a PCV valve and new hose from the dealer it MUST work correctly !!! PCV can be plastic or metal screw on depending on valve cover type . If PCV doesn't function correctly crankcase pressure builds up and then causes oil leaks among other problems , please do it correctly!!

Thank you for the reply. It is not the fuel damper assembly. The damper is small, metal, and near the engine. I replaced that in 2010. (that was a full on gasoline leak in the engine.)

PCV valve came from Napa Auto Parts. I live in a small town of 1806 people. A Lexus dealership is a not an easy thing. I have DIY'd this car since 2005, except the belts and drive axles, and so far, so good. I treat my car with great respect, but I am not a staunch "Lexus part" person. ;) For me, I am at 208K miles, if I make it to 275K, I will be satisfied.

I looked at a ES this morning !! The part In question is a air filter for the evaporative emissions system. If you follow the line several inches there is a green test port for evap. leak diagnosis, this line goes to the charcoal canister. If I can find a part number ill pass it on, salvage may be a option, in your area. Toyota has the same part.

No (again city of 1800) but I will see what I can find online or locally.

I think what happened was, when I took the car apart to replace the valve cover gasket, I slid this piece off, but the "repair" was old and so the tape didn't hold anymore. After I re-taped it today, the gas smell went away. I will look for the pipe now.

Thank you for your help!