Known Issues For A 2000 Es 300

oriont

Hello all, first post here and its more of a precursor to buying a Lexus thread than I own a Lexus thread.

I am thinking of buying a 2000 ES 300.

http://losangeles.cr...3216744975.html

I am getting rid of a 2003 Honda CRV, which all of them have issues with their AC compressors and can cost about 2-3k per year to replace.

I am trying to find a reliable comfortable car that does not have any issues that centric to the make/model.

I am looking for a car that if there are issues I wont end up having to dole out 3k to get it fixed.

I am looking for a car that I can drive to work in comfort for many years to come.

Is this car something that fits that description? I do not make enough money with a wife and 3 kids to spend lots of money on upkeep. We usually save about 20-100 per month for any issues we may have with our car.

Thanks for any advice and information in advance.

Probably same potential problems of that engine in all Lexus/Toyota cars....oil sludge, (just run sythethic) and other than that a great engine. As for transmission never do a flush, always a drain and fill. Car should be good otherwise....

Is that a pretty common issue with the Lexus. Also how much would that cost to have done?

Heard somewhere having work done on a Lexus is much more expensive because its a luxury vehicle.

I bought my 2000 ES300 in 2006. Since then, I have replaced (2) A/F O2 Sensors, (2) Knock Sensors, (1) Coil pack on #2 cylinder, Window regulator/motor front passenger side, IACV under throttle body, (1) top and front engine mounts and (4) shock struts (I did my own work). I had the timing belt replaced for $500.00 and replaced four tires 2x since then. The hards job I performed was the Knock Sensor, took me 8 hrs and $320.00 in parts. http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=30723&hl=

My wife is happy with this reliable car. She drives it everyday 40 miles per day to La Jolla, San Diego ca.

any independent mechanic could perform the service, Toyota dealerships can also meet all your needs. There are lots of Toyota Only mechanics that can save you dollars

• 1 month later...

I bought my 2000 ES300 in 2006. Since then, I have replaced (2) A/F O2 Sensors, (2) Knock Sensors, (1) Coil pack on #2 cylinder, Window regulator/motor front passenger side, IACV under throttle body, (1) top and front engine mounts and (4) shock struts (I did my own work). I had the timing belt replaced for $500.00 and replaced four tires 2x since then. The hards job I performed was the Knock Sensor, took me 8 hrs and $320.00 in parts. http://us.lexusowner...wtopic=30723=

My wife is happy with this reliable car. She drives it everyday 40 miles per day to La Jolla, San Diego ca.

This seems to run across the board on these then. I bought mine in 2005. We also replaced the knock sensors, (2) O2 sensors (all ourselves) & my engine mount is cracked. Has 208K miles on it, just replaced valve cover gaskets myself too. Needs a new timing belt and needs new struts in back. Actually, Ive been on this forum the entire time Ive owned the car and posted everything I have done to it here:

http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=5313&st=30

I would buy another again in a heartbeat. All the problems were normal maintenance issues. It has been a great car. Still rides smooth, sound system is awesome. We bought this car in 2005 because Consumer Reports rated it as one of the best used cars and it was built like a tank.

After having it for 7 years and getting hit twice by other cars. The car IS built like a tank.