What Can Expect In Maint. Expenses

I am a former Lexus owner but it was a lease on a 2002 gs 430. Now I am looking to buy a 2003 gs 300 with 173k. The car looks and drives very nicely as I would expect from a well maintained Lexus. I know this much. Current owner is at least nbr 3. He has owned car for approx. 3 yr. He has all his maint. performed at a local carx franchise. So nothing Lexus recommended done since his ownership. My question to you all is that what are the typical maint. items I need to consider to factor into my offer? I plan to have the car given a full inspection at my local Lexus dealer.

The "big" expense coming up is the 180K maintenance which should include replacing the timing belt, water pump, tensioner, idlers and a few other parts - probably $1,200+ at an independent shop and quite a bit more than that at a Lexus dealer.

Has this car had any front suspension components changed? I don't know about the 02 GS but the 90 LS I drove from new to 183.5K had to have most of the normally replaceable front suspension parts replaced between around 140K and 180K miles.

Has the car had regular coolant changes? If not you could be dealing with radiator and heater issues down the road due to corrosion. You might also check brake pad thickness on the front and rear and the condition and thickness of the brake discs. Is the air from the A/C blowing nice and cold?

Has the car had documented differential, transmission and brake fluid changes? Have you checked the owners section of the Lexus website using the car's VIN to see if there are any maintenance records there?

My 00 LS is at 155K and I'm hoping it does better than my 90 LS did as it nears 180K. The amount I spent on maintenance and repairs on my 90 LS in the last two years of ownership neared what I sold it for in 2003.