Loud Knocking Sound From Front Wheel Area

Hi, I have a 2002 GS300. For some time now I have been having issues with a loud knocking sound coming from the front drivers side wheel. I hear the loud knocking sound when I am backing out of a parking spot, and sometimes when I hit a pothole or a speed bump. I lifted the car up and cannot see anything loose, etc. Any ideas of what this could be? Rack and Pinion? Suspension bushing? Has anyone has had knocking sound before? Thx.

Hey Alejandro, I feel your pain. I went a yr n a half trying to find my knock. I've change my upper control arms & both lower control arms, lower ball joints, put on new new struts n springs & it still knocked & clunked. My clunk went away when I changed my rack n pinion. Now my car rides like it came off the showroom floor now. Smooth & ultra quiet. Best $100 investment so far.

Wow, you change a lot of parts, but I would the same to get my car running smooth with no knocking sounds. One mechanic told me my rack n pinion was bad, but wanting a second opinion others mentioned that rack n pinion was great and did not need to be changed. I'll go ahead and change the rack n pinion and hopefully like in your case it gets rid of the knocking sound.

Thanks SilverBullitt, I appreciate your input and information

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi, I think I have the same problem as you guys about rattling after going over a bump or pot holes in the road. The noise isn't load, but I feel the front end sounds loose.

I just changed my two front ball joints in August, which had some slight play. The noise is still there as I went over some repettitive bumps on the road going about 30-40mph.

You think still think I still need to change the rack and pinion unit?

To all the 2nd generation lexus GS owners who having front end clunk, do yourself a favor & change your rack & pinion system. I got tired of getting my tires balanced frequently, front end shaking & vibration @ highway speeds, car swaying pulling out of lane. Like I posted I changed everything, even the rack bushings n sway bar bushings, still clunked & rode like crap.I bought a used rack for $100 & did the labor myself bout 6hrs. Clunk is 100% gone totally. Satisfaction guaranteed or your money back!