Cost To Do Rear Brakes

wenway

Hi All, I am new to this site but need some advice on how much I should spend for a brake job on my RX 330. I need new pads and the rear calipers have movement. What should I expect to pay for this service?

I am not a do-it-yourselfer, I just got a manicure....

Depends if you are using a dealer or independent repair shop first off. I just had the rotors and pads done on the front, and pads on the rear on my wife's x5 and it was around 780.00. Now that is much better than the $1800 price the dealer quoted and the independent shop used all BMW parts.

Now awhile back I had brakes on my 04 rx330 and just pads only I think on the front and back around $400 but I am not sure it has been a long time ago. This was also using a independent shop.

What is meant by "the rear calipers have movement"?

I would expect a front or rear brake job for your RX to cost between $200 and $250 at an independent repair shop that specializes in Lexus and uses only OEM parts. This price would include refinishing the rotors.

But do you really need a brake job? The minimum acceptable thickness of both the front and rear rotors is about one millimeter. To give you an idea of how much that is, a penny is 1 1/2 millimeters thick. Most repair shops will try to talk you into replacing brake pads long before they really need to be replaced - probably the most common scam in the auto repair industry.

I don't know how long brake pads "should" last on your RX -- there is a wide range in how long brake pads last on vehicles made by Toyota. The front pads on my LS last about 73,000 miles with the rear lasting about 130,000 miles. The original front pads on our Camry are probably going to last beyond 150,000 miles and the rear pads way way beyond 200,000 miles if the car makes it that far.

About all you can do is measure the pads and replace them when they get worn down.

Great replies, thank you. The dealer let me know that it would be about $350 to do the work. He did say I have a little time on the pads but it will be soon. I have 102K miles on the 04 RX330. I took it up to the mogollon rim, so a bit of washboard road driving. I am not sure exactly what he said about the rear calipers, but the jist was that I would need work on them soon. I think that when the mechanic says that things need replacing on my car, he starts sounding like the teacher on a Peanuts cartoon.