Awd Or Fwd

I really like the 2013 RXs....but can anyone tell me the differences in driving feel, MPGs or anything else that one might need to know in regards to AWD or FWD. I have a 2006 400h FWD but have never driven one that was AWD...what are the pros/cons. Any input is appreciated. Rey in Sunny LA

I have the AWD 400h and the additional motor in the rear probably gives the accelleration a extra kick. Also it probably adds weight to the car. I average 24.5 with my RX400h and I would think you get better than me. Are you considering the hybrid again?

Thanks Thomas,

That's good to know...you know, I love the 24+ that I get from my 400h...but I have been given a 2010 RX350 twice as a loaner and there is something that I really like about the "traditional" drive system. The two gallon larger tank helps to get me almost as far on one tank...I don't know, will have to see how much the dealership will give me for a trade in.

I am giving myself a few months to gather info...no hurry. My car still looks fabulous and runs great...I just get that "New car fever" every once in a while. Rey in sunny LA

A traditional would give you peace of mind, not having to worry about hybrid system failures etc. Also the newer engine doesnt have a timing belt which is a plus...Just normal maintenance items. As for where you live AWD isnt really necessary. The AWD does have some effect in heavy rain and snow. I am heading your way Saturday to visit daughter in Chino Hills. I love driving the RX400h...Has so much power and very quiet and relaxing on the 432 miles one way trip. We drove a RX350 and I am not sure I was impressed.

One thing the 400h AWD also does is send power to the rear wheels when accelerating from a stop and also while turning. This is whether it's dry, wet, snow etc. Whether this power to the rear has any noticeable effect on handling I don't know (never driven a FWD RX). Unlike a torque vectoring AWD system that a lot of newer vehicles now have (Honda SH-AWD comes to mind, but other's have jumped on the band wagon) that definitely affect handling, the AWD in the RX is NOT torque vectoring - not sure about the upcoming redesign.

Having recently traded my 2006 RX400h for a 2006 Acura MDX, I will say that I don't lose sleep at night worrying about a $7000 inverter failing. I do, however, miss the awesome fuel economy of the hybrid. The RX had some features that the MDX doesn't that I miss, but the MDX also has some things that the RX didn't that I really like.

i love my 2007 rx400h awd getting 28mpg in city can get 40mpg if i feather it a lot i love the extra boost of the rear motor zero to sixty time is 6.9 seconds and it can do it =cant beat electric motors for instant torque