Unusual "key Issue"

drivernuts

The master key on my '99 LS suddenly was unable to start the car. It went into the key hole OK but would not turn to start. I tried the door locks, trunk lock and it would unlock everything and the remote works. So I took a close look at the key and there was a slight curve to the metal lengthwise. I put it in my vise, straightened it and now it works again. Wondering if anyone has any thoughts on this? very strange.

• 3 weeks later...

Maybe I'll try this solution on my master key -- it stopped working on my main trunk/glove compartment locking device some time back, although it works on everything else including ignition!! Thanks for letting us know! The surprising thing is, after looking thoroughly into the locking mechanism itself, there don't appear to be any electrical contacts (at least in the '92LS400) that the key blade itself must break - the lock has the usual spring loaded bits and pieces that need to be depressed just so to allow clearance(???)