2000 Es300

roccoj69

just bought a 2000 lexus es300 off an original owner who was a narcotic with the car, looks like it just came out of show room. the car is awesome i love it, used drive a fully loaded camry and enjoyed that but the look of this car is much more class, it drives very similar, hope it treats me the same way, had almost 250,000 on camry. anyone have any tips?

The miaintenance schedule is probably the same as for Camrys of the same year that had the V6 engine. If I remember correctly, the 2000 ES300 was in the last ES series that was mechanically virtually identical to the Camry V6 including the brakes which were different on later series ES. You should be aware that the V6 engine of this era was subject to sludging issues - one reason I've used Mobil 1 synthetic oil in our 98 Camry V6 since it was new.

Valve cover gaskets usually start leaking by 90,000 miles and are a PITA to change. We finally had our mechanic do it last week at the 120,000 mile service.

Front brake pads can easily last 120,000 miles as ours did and the rear pads "forever".

• 2 months later...

Wonder if any of you guys in this topic can help with the following Lexus 2000 ES-300 issue...

Car starts but immediately dies after a few seconds. Can't even shift from Park to Reverse during this period. When I opened the hood and tapped lightly on the metal surfaces near the inputs to the main engine block, the problem disappeared and car worked nomally to and from shopping. However, next day, same thing happened -- car died but tapping as before brought it back.) Any suggestions? Tnx.