Need 1998 Gs4 Solenoid "c" Help Or Information Please!

Eric Dee

Hi all - my first posting ever - anywhere! I just bought a 98 GS400 ( 2 owner ) I was loving my decision and of course a week later the check engine light came on. So far Lexus has: Flushed fluid ( it apparently had Castrol with some possible funky additive according to Lexus Technical noses.)

• At this point only Lexus can reset the Check Engine light. That only lasts for 30 miles. So I am trying to locate and install the Solenoid Transmission 3way, No2 ( AKA Solenoid "C" ) Part # 35230-30010 so that I can replace the one that Lexus' diagnostics has concluded needs replacing. They want $1000+ for what seems to be an easy gig and a very small simple part.

Can you help a newbie and save my first impression passion for Lexus?

• So Far: Have owned a 2003 Solara SLE V6 and have a friend with a 93 GS300 with same problem - both were repaired with rebuilt outrageously priced transmissions.

have seen a lot of the same problem on various on-line posts/blogs.

• Are Toyota / Lexus Shift Solenoids like the infamous Subaru head gasket nightmares? They have the market cornered and are charging $400 for a weak part and another $600+ for labor each time they crash. I have 4 in my 5 speed. How often can I expect to replace these weak parts?

Good value should equal performance, quality and reliability.

Can someone help me do this myself? Pictures? Diagrams? Instructions? Experiences? Tips? - I may just open a Lexus/Toyota Shift Solenoid Discount Repair Center! :whistles:

Please Lexus don't make me go BMW!

post-138660-0-20733600-1331445532_thumb.

post-138660-0-85653200-1331445711_thumb.

• 11 months later...

I needed the same part just ordered from lexuspartsnow.com for $265 and another $30 for shipping. I searched for over a week trying to find it. Not sue ifthat's the best price, but it was cheaper than what the dealer wanted :-) Good Luck!