Hid Head Light

Ok, sorry if this has been discussed previously. I did a search and didn't get any results.

98 Lexus GS400, passenger side HID head light.

New bulb, new ballast, fuse is good, have 12 volts at the connector to the ballast, light comes on for a few seconds then shuts off.

Ideas??? Was quoted $1200 + labor. They wanted to replace the whole head light assembly.

Need some help here.

Thanks.

So you have a new bulb, new ballast and you're getting voltage at the connector? Is this only happening to one side and not the other?

Try to trace the wires and make sure there aren't any breaks or anything like that. Also ensure that your cars battery is working normally.

Who quoted you $1200? If you have a new bulb and ballast, replacing the headlight won't do anything. There's clearly a problem in either the wiring leading to the headlight, or in the cars computer.

If you still can't fix it, and if the opposite side headlight is working fine, i'd splice the wires from that side and run both side ballasts off of the opposite side wiring. Either that, or use it to run a relay and tap off of the battery for power...

• 1 month later...

That sounds like the bulb. I've purchased hid bulbs in the past that come on or flickered for a few secs then shut off. Did you try swapping the bulbs.try that & if that bulb comes on & stay on. It's not the ballast it's the bulb.