Trans Service ?

SHUMIF1

Are there any lexus mechanics on here ? I was wondering when a dealer does a service on a transmission do they only change filter and fluid ? Or also the shift selanoid valves and check valve spring in the valve body ? I just hear alot of problems with transmissions on the rx300 and was wondering if i should change it all for a preventative measure. I have 80k on my 2001 RX300.

I would suspect that only the fluid is changed and sometimes the filter. The original filter was a wire mesh which was just cleaned...Your best maintenance would be a drain and fill...Do this every 15k miles. DO NOT do a flush...We on the Lexus sites as well as Toyota sites do not recommend this....especially on a higher mileage transmission....Drain and fill only. As for the solenoids, they have not been a issue...The only downside of this tranny is a weak design and poor planetary gear assembly which was originally made of aluminum....

Are there any lexus mechanics on here ? I was wondering when a dealer does a service on a transmission do they only change filter and fluid ? Or also the shift selanoid valves and check valve spring in the valve body ? I just hear alot of problems with transmissions on the rx300 and was wondering if i should change it all for a preventative measure. I have 80k on my 2001 RX300.

Other than a metallic screen there is no filter in the early RX transaxles. After much ado I was advised that I should keep watch on the ATF condition at each and every engine oil/filter change. My '01 had the ATF drain and refill, 5 qts, twice, only weeks apart, at ~40,000 miles before the ATF looked satisfactory. The same procedure was done, DIY, at ~90,000 miles.

ATF in good condition is red/pinkish and transparent. Mine also smelled burned before the drain and fill.

The burned ATF is the result of the design flaw not the base causative factor. On the other hand if you leave the burned ATF in the transaxle it will undoubtedly accelerate the failure.