Trac Light, Code 43

prix

I have looked at a number of threads on this topic (common problem), but none seem to have any definitive answers on how to disable TRACTION control.

Symptoms: The TRAC light has been coming on intermittently for years (by itself..no check engine light at the same time). An indie mechanic said he found code 43. Lexls.com says all that means is 'malfunction in traction control'. I made a mental note last week that I hadn't seen a TRAC warning light in awhile (like about a month), but now it's back (was on yesterday).

The car will fail the smog test if the TRAC control light comes on at any time during the test. With random appearances, there is no way I can predict a 'good' time to do the smog check.

From my research, I know there are a LOT of possible causes. I haven't dealt with it because the car runs fine whether the light is on or off, and I live in an area where it's not critical. I wish I could just get rid of it!!

I have read that if I pull the TRAC fuse, then all that will do is make the TRAC warning light stay on ALL the time.

Is there some definitive way to disable it so the car willl pass the smog check?

I have looked at a number of threads on this topic (common problem), but none seem to have any definitive answers on how to disable TRACTION control.

Symptoms: The TRAC light has been coming on intermittently for years (by itself..no check engine light at the same time). An indie mechanic said he found code 43. Lexls.com says all that means is 'malfunction in traction control'. I made a mental note last week that I hadn't seen a TRAC warning light in awhile (like about a month), but now it's back (was on yesterday).

The car will fail the smog test if the TRAC control light comes on at any time during the test. With random appearances, there is no way I can predict a 'good' time to do the smog check.

From my research, I know there are a LOT of possible causes. I haven't dealt with it because the car runs fine whether the light is on or off, and I live in an area where it's not critical. I wish I could just get rid of it!!

I have read that if I pull the TRAC fuse, then all that will do is make the TRAC warning light stay on ALL the time.

Is there some definitive way to disable it so the car willl pass the smog check?

Your concern is misplaced, traction control has nothing to with emissions regulations/issues.

If it's not part of the test no immediate worries but if there is a TRAC malfunction you should be able to pull the specific TRAC code by reading the flashes on the TRAC light, the most common cause is a depleted nitrogen accumulator. These can now be rebuilt and recharged in the UK but not sure if you can do the same in the US.

I could have sworn I read that if the TRAC light comes on it will fail. So this is good news. Thanks!

Your concern is misplaced, traction control has nothing to with emissions regulations/issues.

I would like to get to the bottom of it, but if it's not part of the smog check here in California, then that fix can wait. I'll check out the accumulator when I have time (the mechanic will, rather). I think that is an expensive item to replace. Hopefully it's something simple, instead. Someone said the TRAC light stopped coming on after they replaced a wheel sensor. You just never know. Tx. again.

If it's not part of the test no immediate worries but if there is a TRAC malfunction you should be able to pull the specific TRAC code by reading the flashes on the TRAC light, the most common cause is a depleted nitrogen accumulator. These can now be rebuilt and recharged in the UK but not sure if you can do the same in the US.