Starter Hangs Until Key's Pulled Out. Won't Start

dragondarr

Hi I'm having a problem with my '90 LS 400. While driving, the car suddenly died with all indicator lights lit up and wouldn't start. It would crank /turn over, but it hangs and continues cranking until you pull the key out (and even then it goes for a couple seconds longer). Also it seems to be turning fast like there's no compression, as if the spark plugs were out.

We know it's not the timing belt because we located and checked the timing marks and all three lined up.

Does it sound like it's a problem with the starter? The starter solenoid?

If it is the starter, why would the engine die as a result, and then be able to turn over (but not start)?

Is the solenoid piggy-backed on the starter?

Is there anything I can do to correct the problem without pulling apart the engine to get to the starter?

it doesnt sound like the starter is THE problem, just involved, if it just died suddenly, while driving, and you didnt smell gas fumes, you probably have an electrical problem... have you had any experience with your trunk hinge wiring?? read

Common Issues And A Ls400 Buying Guide

at the top of this forum

I would agree with Billy that the starter is not the main problem, although I would not rule out a starter issue but it is not your MAIN issue. Your ignition switch could also be suspect. Now, the fast cranking and symptoms of compression loss are most troubling. I would have bet on a broken timing belt but you indicate that it is fine.

First, I would check for computer codes. If none, check for compression. You might remove the valve covers and check for movement. Maybe a cam key is broken and it is not really turning?

Thank you everyone for your input. I will check the compression next and go from there. Also the trunk opening lever did stop working as someone mentioned, so I'll give that a look. I will check the ignition switch as well.

I'll report back any findings. Thanks again.