Ecu Failsafe

Milehigh3

Hi guys.new on forum and love it ! Question: Have a 90 LS 400.Do these engines have a failsafe system for overheat or oil pressure loss that will automatically shut the engine down ?? Is so where are the sensors located that would send the signals to the ECU that the problems are happening.Appreciate any help...Butch

As far as I know there ae no such features on the car, the temperature guage will show a high engine temperature and the oil pressure warning light will come on if the pressure falls below the specified level.

If there are any sensor problems the engine management light will illuminate indicating a fault which can be diagnosed by reading the stored codes.

The only sensor which does effect driving is the transmission fluid temperature sensor which prevents the transmission going into overdrive until the fluid is at a minimum temperature.

Hi guys.new on forum and love it ! Question: Have a 90 LS 400.Do these engines have a failsafe system for overheat or oil pressure loss that will automatically shut the engine down ?? Is so where are the sensors located that would send the signals to the ECU that the problems are happening.Appreciate any help...Butch

No, the "failsafe" is YOU. Mostly the CEL, Check Engine Light, and it's up to you to pay attention to that and a few other "fail" indications and reach IMMEDIATELY.

Thanks for the replys,When I first bought the car,about 5 yrs.ago,I would drive about 120 miles on the interstate at 75-80 mph and she ran perfectly.Get off the exit,stop at light and it stalls.Would not start again till it cooled down.Baffeld me and and some friend mechanics.NO CEL.I have been a pro mechanic for over 50 yrs.Then recently I would start her(starts and runs fine),gets up to running temp at idle,shuts down and won't start till she cools down.Now she won't start at all.Any ideas ?? Thx...Butch

Thanks for the replys,When I first bought the car,about 5 yrs.ago,I would drive about 120 miles on the interstate at 75-80 mph and she ran perfectly.Get off the exit,stop at light and it stalls.Would not start again till it cooled down.Baffeld me and and some friend mechanics.NO CEL.I have been a pro mechanic for over 50 yrs.Then recently I would start her(starts and runs fine),gets up to running temp at idle,shuts down and won't start till she cools down.Now she won't start at all.Any ideas ?? Thx...Butch

Cranks, but doesn't start, or....??

If it doesn't crank, starter motor "clicks", then I would suspect starter bendix operated solenoid contacts or starter motor brushes are worn out.

Cranks fine,new starter a year ago and 3 month old battery.Car is at repair shop not far from me,I had to give up my shop 10 months ago due to health problems.Getting better now so bringing car home to figure out problem.Supposed "repair" shop had all 5 of their mechanics on it and all their test equiptment and couldn't find problem.I told them to do the basics,spark test,take tube off intake and spray some starting fluid to see if she fires(then we know there's spark).They said it was a waste of time,lol.I know I'll find the problem especially with help from you guys. I have ALOT of experience but I don't know everything like some guys,lol...Butch