2000 Gs400 Has 50,000 Miles. Should I Change The Timing Belt ?

Title says it all. 2000 GS400 with 50k miles that I've owned since spring 2004 and 25k mi. Garage kept and driven easily. I'm probably going to have it done but I'm interested in what the forum membership thinks? I can't remember spending any money on repairs for this car. I've had one set of brake pads and tires installed shortly after I got it and then regular oil changes and that's it. Everythin works. I do have the gurgle sound in the climate control but it's no worse than it was 8 years ago and about the only time I notice it is when accelerating from a stop when the car is cold. I'm not tired of the styling and it's as fast as it's always been. Still thrills me big time.

Amazon sells this timing belt kit for $300. Timing Belt Kit Lexus GS 400 1998-2000. Includes: timing belt water pump with gasket thermostat and gasket, automatic tension adjuster timing belt tensioner timing belt idler engine accessory drive belt two camshaft seals front crankshaft seal other needed misc. gaskets and seals This kit will service Lexus GS400, with V8 1UZFE engines, year range of 1998-2000. Featuring products by Bando, Contitech, Mitsuboshi, GMB, Koyo, NTN, NSK, NPW, Paraut, Aisin. Services years: 1998, 1999, 2000.

What do you think?

DSC01879.jpg

Unless you have an oil leak at the front of the motor or hear an audibel clicking noise while idling then leave it alone. Service interval for that belt is 120-170k miles. From personal experience, the Contitech set is probably the best set out there aside from OE. Changing the cam seals ramps your labor up an extra couple hours.

Unless you have an oil leak at the front of the motor or hear an audibel clicking noise while idling then leave it alone. Service interval for that belt is 120-170k miles. From personal experience, the Contitech set is probably the best set out there aside from OE. Changing the cam seals ramps your labor up an extra couple hours.

So mileage wear is the sole guideline for timing belt replacement? I've got a good independent mechanic and he said the Lexus tb was a sturdy belt but he said if it was him he would replace it due to age. He does have a vested interest in his answer. He said it would be a $5-600 job.

There are no leaks or odd engine noises. In doing additional belt kit searches I've found many packages available at what seems to be reasonable prices and, unless I'm reading wrong, the same tb kit fits the Toyota V8s from 1998 on.

If I continue putting miles on at the same rate, it will be 2025 before it gets to 90,000 miles and I'll be 74 years young. I'd trade it but I can't find any thing new out there that comes equiped with the "paid for" option my gs has. :D

Well then, I would run it for a while yet, Then for piece of mind sake change it when you are bored or really have the itch to do so. I personally would only use OEM parts, That's just me though :cheers: