License Plate Light

VBdenny

After 22 years of faithful burning, one of the 2 bulbs for the license plate gave up the ghost. I removed the 4 Philips screws but the black plate with the clear openings remains tightly attached. I figured before I go prying on something and break it, I'd ask around. I would love to hear from those who know. Thanks.

You are going in from the wrong side.

You need to lift the trunk lid and then remove the sound proofing/carpet from the underside of the trunk lid, it is all clipped on so either give the clips a tug or use a clip removal tool, the clips are pretty tough so tend not to break. As far as I can see there are no screws just clips but check just in case before pulling it off.

Once you have removed this you will see a hole in the trunk area above the license plate lights, put your hand in there and feel around for the bulb holder, to remove you twist the holder slightly ( anticlockwise if I remember) and then pull it out ( they are the same as the front corner lights if you have ever changed those)

Pull out the holder through the hole,there is enough wire on them and then pull out the bulb.

Reverse the proceedure for refitting.

I changed mine for LED bulbs for the bright white look you see on newer cars but if you do try them 1st before refitting as they only work fitted one way, so if you find it doesn't light up turn it 180 degrees and it will. This only applies to LEDs conventional bulbs will of course work either way around.

Thanks Steve & VB, probably a lot of us would start like VB did and might have ruined the light (some of US are hard headed- no light will conquer me)... SO, I have filed this away if mine ever burn out.....

by the way, how do the lexus bulbs last so long???? amazing

Years ago I figured a lot of things out the hard way, now I ask. After closely inspecting the plate over the light, i knew enough to ask which is wayyyyy better than breaking something. Sometimes I go to the junkyard on a quiet Sunday morning and disassemble things on cars. Things like how to remove door panels, dashboards, heater cores, even bulbs. Nothing like doing something to learn how to do it faster and easier. I had classes for my digital camera class all day so the car just sits in the garage. Raining today here and didn't want to get it dirty.