Alarm - Dumb Question Of The Day! :)

Luvmy03IS

Hi all,

I just joined this forum to ask this question specifically. I know it's a stupid one but.. it's what I got. :) My '03 IS300 has been broken into twice now and I was thinking about getting an alarm installed. As far as I know, that car already HAS an alarm, correct? I mean, I know it does cause it has gone off if I accidently lock it before the door is shut but I guess I am wondering the extent of it. My old car (VW Jetta) had an alarm that only went off when someone tried to open a locked door from the outside via the handle (ie, reaching in a broken window) but that is stupid cause you could just hit the rocker switch and unlock it and the car would never know. Anyway - does anyone know what would trigger the alarm to go off exactly? A window being smashed obviously doesn't do it. I appreciate the help and please let me know if you need further clarification.

Kellie

The alarm "should" sound if the car is unlocked from the inside while the alarm is set or if someone somehow opens a door from outside the car while the alarm is set. This function is dependent on the "door open" sensors on the doors working properly. Glass Breakage Sensors have only recently been introduced on Lexus vehicles.

Are the break-in's happening while your car is parked in the same general area? If so, it would appear that somebody knows that your car is an easy mark.

Are you leaving any valuable items visible while your car is parked? ... i.e. Is anything being stolen?

And, yes, some aftermarket alarms include glass breakage sensors. It might be possible to add glass breakage sensors to your current OEM security system ... maybe contact a company that installs alarms.

Thanks for the reply! It sounds to me like they are either a: getting everything through the window (which seems difficult) or the alarm is going off and no one is hearing it (which seems difficult) or the alarm isn't going off at all, for whatever reason (which seems weird). So, whatever. I guess an after market alarm wouldn't be a bad thing?

Yes, they are breaking in, in the same place but it is in my "secure" parking garage in my apartment complex so I don't really have anywhere else to park. The only other option is on the street and I may as well have a sign on the car that says "rob me". The first time, I was parked close to the garage door so I figured if I moved down a few levels, I would be ok. This time, I was down on level 3. They took nothing the first time and this time, my stereo. I don't leave ANYTHING in it. I mean... the first time, they literally took nothing cause there was nothing to take. The whole thing is strange. They had to walk by a ton of BMW's (even though Lexus is nicer) and other cars to get to mine. I feel like I was targeted but someone would have to hate me AND know how to get into the building which is unlikely. Ugh. More than you asked for.

Thanks for the response. I appreciate it!

-K

Hi all,

I just joined this forum to ask this question specifically. I know it's a stupid one but.. it's what I got. :) My '03 IS300 has been broken into twice now and I was thinking about getting an alarm installed. As far as I know, that car already HAS an alarm, correct? I mean, I know it does cause it has gone off if I accidently lock it before the door is shut but I guess I am wondering the extent of it. My old car (VW Jetta) had an alarm that only went off when someone tried to open a locked door from the outside via the handle (ie, reaching in a broken window) but that is stupid cause you could just hit the rocker switch and unlock it and the car would never know. Anyway - does anyone know what would trigger the alarm to go off exactly? A window being smashed obviously doesn't do it. I appreciate the help and please let me know if you need further clarification.

Kellie

Hi Kellie and welcome to the Lexus Owners Club. I know you had just one question, but please feel free to hang around or come back as often as you like/need. Your membership is always good.

Paul