Seat Belt Assembly Of Es300, Is It The Same As The Camry?

da7

Seat Belt Assembly of ES300, is it the same as the same year's Camry?

Coz Toyota quoted about $60 for the same year Camry whereas Lexus quoted about $560!

Anybody got any ideas?

Coz Toyota quoted about $60 for the same year Camry whereas Lexus quoted about $560!

Anybody got any ideas?

Hello da7, and welcome to the LOC. We're glad you joined us.

I did a search of the Club's forums, and it appears that the seat belts are the same. However, there must be a mistake in the part prices you've been quoted. There can't possibly be $500.00 difference in price for the same part, even if one does comes from Lexus.

For example, does the Toyota price include ALL components; belt, tensioner, mounting hardware, latch, and labor to install. Does the Lexus price include all parts and installation labor?

Come back and let us know what you find out.

Merry Christmas,

Paul

Anybody got any ideas?

Hello da7, and welcome to the LOC. We're glad you joined us.

I did a search of the Club's forums, and it appears that the seat belts are the same. However, there must be a mistake in the part prices you've been quoted. There can't possibly be $500.00 difference in price for the same part, even if one does comes from Lexus.

For example, does the Toyota price include ALL components; belt, tensioner, mounting hardware, latch, and labor to install. Does the Lexus price include all parts and installation labor?

Come back and let us know what you find out.

Merry Christmas,

Paul

hi Paul, Merry Christmas thanks for the quick reply...

I've got both prices from the Parts department of Toyota and Lexus respectively, and with the Toyota guy I've double tripled confirmed that it's the front seat belt assembly, because I asked him if it's just the belt, as I was surprised it's so cheap, but his reply was that "Toyota doesn't sell the seat belt separately, ie. it's the whole assembly"... so what do you think, how much is it supposed to cost?

Well, that is just weird. Basic common sense tells us that something can't be right. Let's do this;

A Lexus dealer in Dallas, TX, is an approved vendor of Lexus parts for LOC members. Go on line to" Sewellparts.com" and register as a Lexus Owners Club member for a hefty discount. Since you have your part numbers, you should be able to look up the belt assembly and get the price. I don't know, but there may be a Toyota dealer on line that also sells parts. Google that and check with them.

You didn't say if the Lexus price included labor for removal of the old and installation of new belt.

hi Paul, thanks again, I've tried the website that you suggested and the only years that they keep this particular parts for, are 2002-2005, and even then it's "unavailable online", and I can't get a price unless I call them... http://lexus.sewellparts.com/oem-catalog/7104712779-Body-ES300-2002.html

regarding the lexus price that I've found, I'm pretty sure it's the price for "parts" only, as I confirmed I was talking to the "Parts Department", (ie. not their service department) so I can't imagine them to be quoting the price for supply and fit...

also after I've done more research, it appears the part number for the lexus and toyota that I have, both starts with 73210, and it seems like Lexus and Toyota both uses this exact number for all their models for a seat belt assembly, so I'm pretty sure I've got the right "part"...

so the thing I need to confirm is, that the Toyota Camry part in the same year ie. 1994 in my instance, is the same assembly as the one from Lexus ES300, then all I need is the one from Toyota right?

da7,

The price difference may well be that the Lexus had a pretensioner system for the seat belts for your model year, while the Camry did not. I don't know for sure, but I had to take the driver's seat belt assembly from one of my wife's earlier ES300's, a 97.

That car had the explosive bolt pretensioner system. There were large yellow warning stickers all over the B pillar post at the bottom of the frame, as well as on the seat belt spool. They didn't want anyone blowing off fingers or losing an eye if it was triggered by an electrical spark, etc., while taking it apart. If this was only a Lexus option, and not on the Camry of that year, that may speak for the price difference.

You don't say where you are located, but I'd for sure try wrecking yards for a replacement belt assembly before I bought a new one for a car of that age. Or, I'd go online to eBay and purchase one there. I recently bought a used height sensing unit for the motorized headlights of my wife's 04 ES330, out of a wrecking yard in California for $130. The new part in Canada was quoted as just over $500 at our Lexus dealership. Good Luck!

According to http://www.toyodiy.com , seat belts in the the 1994 Camry and the 1994 ES300 have different part numbers. That the part numbers start with the same five numbers doesn't mean anything. The part numbers for LS460 seat belts also start 73210. The first five numbers of a Toyota part number describes only a category.

The location in your profile says "Other / Non-US". Unless your car is a U.S./Canadian model, check the part numbers for your specific market. The parts used in cars that look identical can be different.

Thanks guys your replies have been more than helpful...

And that parts web page is exactly what I need thanks 1990LS400...

I know 73210 means the category but that is exactly what I'm trying to get at when the question arises whether I have got the right quote ie seat belt assembly from the respective dealer..

I'm from Australia and unfortunately the part numbers I've quoted is also different to what is shown on the toyodiy website but what is interesting is that the toyodiy website is showing the same price range $130-140 for the Lexus or Toyota seat belt assembly (different part number)

I don't think the 94 ES400 have seat belt pretentioner.. So what I'll need to do when the dealer opens again after Christmas, is to ring a few more Lexus dealers!

Anyway as far as I'm concerned the seat belt design and construction and mechanism is basically the same between the two models and works the same as long as they have the same bolt holes and attaches solidly onto the chassis as they would have the same load bearing etc.. So if they look the same I would assume they do the same job...

So Paul, could you let me know where you saw it was mentioned that they are the same unit? Coz the only way to find out is if someone have taken them apart and had them side by side... Thanks again...

Hey L,

A couple of things;

The easiest way and most organized way to search our vast amount of data and postings from over a decade, is to use the search line at the top-right of the page. It is a small white horizontal line. Enter your search words, then chose your search method,(I use Google for best results, it searches our archives but formats it in a Google style), then go.

I too have looked up the Toyota web site for your seat belt assembly and price, but was not able to get a result for that model year. I really believe in all honesty that we have given you as much info as we can at this point. I noted that you had also posted your question on Club Lexus as well. Their responses haven't been much different from those here. For you to answer your beginning question once and for all, I would strongly urge you to buy an assembly from one dealer or the other, take it to the other dealer and compare the parts side by side. A reputable parts department should have no problem with you returning that part if it was not used.

Thanks Paul, of coz ive tried the search function in fact I tried searchihg the whole of internet with no success before i posted the question.. That's why I was interested to see the page that you referred to, but it doesn't matter now I'm just going to go to Toyota and order the part as its a risk I'm willing to take for $60 and I'll soon find out when I try to put it on the Lexus, the dealers here are so awful its a pain even trying to get a part number off them, we used to have a great parts department here which were friendly and efficient but these days no ones want to do any work anymore the fat *BLEEP* at the parts department stares at you for half a minute like you're stupid when you try and ask him for a part, the price and the part number

you go and ask the parts department if ur car uses the pink or red coolant they said they can't tell u and put you to the service department then the service guy says he doesn't know and ask you to talk to the parts department! Then you talk to someone else in another dealership one minute say pink next minute they change their mind and say red... You ask yourself what the hell you're dealing with.. Anyway rant over... Yeah the club Lexus I asked the same question and definately you guys here seems to be much more keen to help.. So hopefully if I run into another problem that I couldn't figure out I'll post again cheers and have a happy 2012