Check Vsc System Light On

Hi folks,

I sent in my 2006 Lexus RX 400H for maintenance (local autoshop), they change the timing belt, rotate tires and also flush the brake fluid for less than 300 bucks. Sounds good right?

Right after the brake job finished the "check VSC system" light is on and they are not able to reset it, I left my car overnight and the mechanic called me and told me that the brake pump failed. They said they are trying to find an used one for me because dealer charge $4000 for the parts.....???!!WTF ???

I am a car person and I got all kind of tools at home even the lift. This is the first time I send my car out for maintenance because I have a new born at home and I don't have any time or energy to work on the car. Please give me advices on how I should go from here. Is there anything I should check before spending more money?

Thanks in advance.

i am not trying to be critical, however the parts and labor for the timing belt change at even the most reasonable garage should have been more than $300, just changing the brake fluid on this vehicle is not as straighfoward as most, so i am a little bit skeptical of what this mechanic actually did. do you have an ongoing relationship with this shop or is this your first visit to them?

i am not trying to be critical, however the parts and labor for the timing belt change at even the most reasonable garage should have been more than $300, just changing the brake fluid on this vehicle is not as straighfoward as most, so i am a little bit skeptical of what this mechanic actually did. do you have an ongoing relationship with this shop or is this your first visit to them?

My friend recommended me this shop because of the price. This is my first time having people working on my car and sigh.... probably the last time.

Personally, I would not take our Lexus to a local shop unless it's for a tire change/balance/rotation. I recommend that you take your car to a dealership to figure this one out.

Personally, I would not take our Lexus to a local shop unless it's for a tire change/balance/rotation. I recommend that you take your car to a dealership to figure this one out.

Yesteray autoshop reset the computer and told me the warning light should come back in 20 mins.

I then carefully drove home and go to work this morning and warning light still not on. I will try to push it harder today and see what's up..

I think all it need is just a good reset and drive slowly to let the computer learn the new pressure in the brake system. And I believe they push it too hard while test drove it and trigger the computer.

No no no no. Do not let them charge your for any stinking repair or for a replacement pump, and do not drive the vehicle without having the Lexus dealer check it.

The brake system in the hybird CANNOT be bled in the traditional manner, or even with a pressure bleeder. There is no traditional brake booster and the only way the system can be bled properly is by hooking it up to the Lexus computer and cycling the electric motors that produce pressure in the hydraulic system.

Trust me on this, I have the official shop manual, and the procedure is well documented in the manual.

Driving around hoping the system will fix itself will not work, and I also find it highly doubtful that they flushed the brake fluid, because of what I just stated about the electric motors. My guess is, they tried to flush it, found out they couldn't, but by opening the bleed bolt on the caliper and/or the master cyclinder lid they introduced some air or tripped some sensor, and hence the warning light. Normally, the brake warning light comes on as well, though.

In fact, for the price you paid, I'd be strongly suspicious of whether the timing belt was ACTUALLY changed. I had mine done at the Toyota dealer, and they quoted my the price for a standard 6 cylinder, and I was very adamant when I booked the appointment that I had a hybrid. Still, they insisted, 'standard' six cylinder price $399. When I showed up at the dealership and the technician found out it was a hybrid, they phoned me at home and said wrong price quoted, much more work has to be done on the hybird (moving parts out of the way, like the air cleaner housing, the brake master cylinder etc. But they stuck to their misquoted price and did the work anyway.

I still stongly suggest you have Lexus look at this (or Toyota) as a failure in the braking system can be catastophic.

***edit. I just remembered, if you look at my TSB post that is stickied at the top of the forum, there is a tab for 'warning lights after brake pad change' that explains this situation better'. If the light returns, then I think you'll need to have Lexus hook up their computer and bleed the system. The tsb only refers to a pad change. If they tried to flush the system, you'll probably need Lexus to do it properly.

Thanks for the info.

Drove 200 miles and no warning light, brake feel the same as before.

I will jack up the car and see if they really change the timing belt or not. If not then I will pay then a visit with my attorney :)

No no no no. Do not let them charge your for any stinking repair or for a replacement pump, and do not drive the vehicle without having the Lexus dealer check it.

The brake system in the hybird CANNOT be bled in the traditional manner, or even with a pressure bleeder. There is no traditional brake booster and the only way the system can be bled properly is by hooking it up to the Lexus computer and cycling the electric motors that produce pressure in the hydraulic system.

Trust me on this, I have the official shop manual, and the procedure is well documented in the manual.

Driving around hoping the system will fix itself will not work, and I also find it highly doubtful that they flushed the brake fluid, because of what I just stated about the electric motors. My guess is, they tried to flush it, found out they couldn't, but by opening the bleed bolt on the caliper and/or the master cyclinder lid they introduced some air or tripped some sensor, and hence the warning light. Normally, the brake warning light comes on as well, though.

In fact, for the price you paid, I'd be strongly suspicious of whether the timing belt was ACTUALLY changed. I had mine done at the Toyota dealer, and they quoted my the price for a standard 6 cylinder, and I was very adamant when I booked the appointment that I had a hybrid. Still, they insisted, 'standard' six cylinder price $399. When I showed up at the dealership and the technician found out it was a hybrid, they phoned me at home and said wrong price quoted, much more work has to be done on the hybird (moving parts out of the way, like the air cleaner housing, the brake master cylinder etc. But they stuck to their misquoted price and did the work anyway.

I still stongly suggest you have Lexus look at this (or Toyota) as a failure in the braking system can be catastophic.

***edit. I just remembered, if you look at my TSB post that is stickied at the top of the forum, there is a tab for 'warning lights after brake pad change' that explains this situation better'. If the light returns, then I think you'll need to have Lexus hook up their computer and bleed the system. The tsb only refers to a pad change. If they tried to flush the system, you'll probably need Lexus to do it properly.

check from top and underneath the car and all the bolts surrounding the timing belt cover have been worked on.

I think if they go all the way to remove all the bolts then it should be good. Happy ending!

Thanks everyone for the input, you guys rock!