Timimg Belt Change

I'm looking at a timing belt replacement, and have conflicting info on what mileage to do it at. I've seen 60K, 90K and 120K all recommended.

The potential damage from doing it late is extensive. I have a trip planned and am worried about rushing to have it done beforehand.

If you had it done, what was the apporxiamte cost? Thanks!

the 1mz-fe engine in all 94 and newer es 300's

all are a non interferance engine

meaning that if the belt breaks the valves cannot touch the pistons causing damage

i have seen some cars go to 200km without changing the belt

it can go 140 km easy also would it cost more if it broke

no

just the real pain in the !Removed! of it doing it when you didn't want it and a tow fee unless you have lexus roadside( i do ,they pay for a tow to any lexus dealer unlimited milage,also trip interuption reimbursements)

i know a a guy at lexus who did mine for $250 canadian for changing the belt and water pump as they both have to come off in the job

about 125 for parts

i had my belt changed at lexus once it cost me 700 for just the belt

you can go to toyota also as it is the same engine as the camry

the 1mz-fe engine in all 94 and newer es 300's

all are a non interferance engine

meaning that if the belt breaks the valves cannot touch the pistons causing damage

This is not quite true.

When the 1MZ-FE became VVT-i the design of the engine went from non-interference and to interference. This can be verified on CL, with www.lexus.com, or I can furnish you with the actual threads and/or responce from the customer service rep from Lexus.com.

If the belt breaks under powertrain warranty, damages may be covered. If the car is working fine and well maintained, then 90k is acceptable. According to Lexus, the timing belt is of such high standards that rarely does it go before 90k and even a little higher.

However, some people will change it before 90k for piece of mind. In any case, if you do it, consider replacing the pulleys, water pump and serpentine belts at the same time.

Always shop around. Toyota may do it for less than Lexus. Independents may not do it right or may not use original Toyota/Lexus parts. Whichever way, you get what you pay for.

good luck.

steviej