Emissions Code

Our 07 RX just had some lights come on the dash. Check Engine, Traction control and some other stability light (V--?). Lexus said this was an emissions code, and I should bring it in.

I made an appointment, but is this a known issue? Something obvious that I can change myself?

I'd guess the lights are a generic code, and they will have to check the computer codes to isolate the problem.

So, is this something specific, or known, or will I be leaving additional money with the dealer?

Thanks

The Trac and VSC codes are basically meaningless, they show a fault only because they are DISABLED whenever there is a CEL. CEL's are most often caused by a fuel cap leak, cap not fully seated, or if you happened to remove the fuel cap but did not add fuel or didn't add enough fuel for the emissions ECU to register/detect.

A CEL caused by a fuel system leak, as above, will clear itself within 3-4 drive cycles.

Read the actual code (Autozone, etc.) and if it is the fuel cap then ignore it for a few days or have it reset.

• 3 months later...

Still haven't worked on the car. The Trac and VSC lights are on, sometimes go out. The miss is intermittent.

I took the car to a parts store, and the code read '#2 cyl missing'. So it is either a plug, wire or coil pack (~$88).

Anyone have experience with this? I'm guessing it's the coil, but it may not be.

The car has 62k on it, and the tuneup is suggested at 90k - so it wouldn't hurt to change the plugs and the wires. Thanks!