Rear Seats Folded And Hauling In Cargo Area

TNMtnLexus

I'm shopping for an SUV after previously owning the Lexus RX300. The GX470 (2007) that I test drove didn't have a 2nd row rear seat that folded flat which poses a problem for me.

I need to haul some items that are between 5 and 6 feet long (and 20" wide) and flat. I haven't been able to find any 2008 or 2009 GX in my area to see them.

Is there a difference in model years that have a flat cargo area with 2nd row folding seats (besides the 2010-2011)?

I can't seem to find much discussion on this issue and I don't understand why! I was planning on removing the 3rd row seats but I'm not about to bother removing the 2nd row too!

Has anyone built or fabricated a pedestal that creates a raised floor to create a continuous and flat surface for hauling long objects or gear in the cargo area of the GX?

I'm at a loss for how this isn't discussed and what people are doing with their GXs? Is everyone just using their SUV as a minivan?

The 2nd row seats in my 2008 GX fold up against the front seats, but do not fold flat. I've removed the 3rd row seats as I haul cargo far more often than passengers. I think newer GX's have fold-flat 3rd row seats (not sure), but I'm not aware that the 2nd row seat design has changed. Building an elevated floor is not a good idea as a sudden stop may send cargo sliding at head level into the driver's seat. If you haul large cargo items frequently, consider buying a collapsible trailer like the ones Harbor Freight sells (they fold up for compact storage). One will set you back about $200 - $300, but will keep your GX from getting nicked up inside, and is much easier to load/unload. Once you own a trailer you'll wonder how you managed without it. I have one of the 48" trailers ($200 - assembly required) and use it all the time.

Thanks xxstewart. I had not considered the safety implication of the pedestal in a serious collision. I also own a 4x6' trailer which suffices in place of a pickup truck for most circumstances.

However the SUV is needed for hauling items that shouldn't be exposed to moisture, rain, road salt, etc. and aren't easily contained in a roof-top cargo container. Unfortunately, if the GX470 won't haul 66" or longer inside a protected environment then its utility for me fails and just becomes a 4wd minivan for me (and I don't carry > 1 passenger).

It looks like I'll be shifting my focus to a Toyota 4runner Limited for the fold flat seats in the cargo area. This is really disappointing as I was anticipating the capability of the GX470 4wd & wanted to keep the satisfying ride & interior comfort like I had with the RX300. :(