Looking For Advice On 1998 Gs 400

I'm new to the forum, and to be honest the Lexus brand, and am looking for some advice/guidance. A good friend of mine is selling his mother's 1998 GS 400 and has asked if I am interested. It has 50K miles on it, that's all I know since I haven't yet seen the car. I am currently in need of a car for a daily driver and wonder if this car, despite its age, would fill the bill given the miles and Lexus quality. Any thoughts on this? Also, is there anything that I should be looking for in terms of evaluating the car and any know problem areas I should be aware of?

Lastly, and again, I know I'm not offering much info here, any thoughts as to what a fair price would be (outside of KBB of course).

Thanks for any help/advice that you can offer.

Bill

Hi Bill, and welcome to the owners club!

Since you haven't even seen the car yet, I can only give you some basic advice.

As for the price, The KBB is always a good place to start, realizing that all prices will vary locally. Also until you get a look at the car you won't be able to know if the body and interior condition is good, bad or mediocre. The miles are very low for that year and will help hold up the price somewhat. If this is going to be a private sale, I would suggest letting them set the price first and then responding to it with your counter offer.

For the car itself, first thing right off the bat is take it to your mechanic and have them give it a thorough inspection BEFORE you even talk about price. I am not familiar with that year GS so I don't know of any specific issues to look for. But I imagine that others will chime in here who are familiar and give you their advice.

Lexus quality is renowned. There are a LOT of Lexus cars of all models out there with 150,180,& 200+ miles on them running strong. I would always recommend Lexus to someone looking for a good pre-owned car.

Paul

• 2 months later...

I can tell you this. I purchase my 98 GS400 9yrs ago. It had 86k, now @ 199k. Still run strong with no leaks, rust, anything. In the 9yrs of ownership, I can say I had @least 5 issues. All minor. Would I buy again? Hell yeah without a pause.

• 2 weeks later...

Original owner since new over 14 years. GS 400 is still strong with no major problems except a new starter this year. Wouldn't give it up. If it looks good and drives good, "go for it" .