Headlight Question

Hello fellow lexus owners, I recently purchased a 2002 es300 , Today i noticed another similar es300 had another buld above the main h.i.d headlight it is the little top bulb on the headlight assembly, i am wondering how do i activate mine? , I have included a image of the headlight assembly and it is the top left bulb in the picture , i cannot find any information anywhere else online or in the manual , any help would be greatly appreciated, Thanks in advance!

My link

Are you talking about these?

166emgz.jpg

If so, they're supposed to be on whenever the low beams are on, or if you have the stalk on the steering column set to the "parking light" setting.

It could be that yours are burned out...

Yes , exactly those ones , ive looked in the manual for my 2002 model and cant find a switch anywhere , where on your steering column is yours located , I have never seen them work on my vehicle although the fuses are not blown for them. How exactly is the headlight assembly removed , i have taken the three 10mm bolts off the headlights attached to the rad support but it feels as if something else may be holding them, Thanks for the replys guys!

The common term for the "parking lights" we are talking about is "city lights". I don't know if there are any cities left in the world that still require them but many - most famously Paris - used to prohibit full headlight use in city centers at night. Only the use of city lights with 5 watt bulbs were allowed - historically why the bulbs in your front "parking lights" are 5 watts.

Another reason for the city lights was to make a car visible at night while parked on narrow streets while minimizing battery discharge. You could leave your city lights on all night without running the battery down. The headlight switches on a number of European cars (e.g. Mercedes) had/have two extra positions for activating only the left or right side city/parking lights to further minimize current draw while parked.

Since your ES300 has DRL, it is not possible to have only the city lights on while driving.

post-2157-0-81475900-1320502594_thumb.pn

Got around to taking the clip off the wheel well plastic today, had to break it off but i did manage to reach around and take out the burnt bulbs and replace them , lights work now , thanks for the help guys!