Programming Remote (Smart Key)

LennyF

Best way to find out what the dealer will charge to program the remote is to call a dealer and see.

Its not something you can do yourself, the dealer needs to do it so the system will recognize the new smartkey.

Best way to find out what the dealer will charge to program the remote is to call a dealer and see.

Its not something you can do yourself, the dealer needs to do it so the system will recognize the new smartkey.

I agree. If you are in an area with multiple dealers, check with a couple to see how their prices compare.

I contacted two dealers about this, (programming the remote). One said over the phone that there’s a 75% chance he might not be able to program it, but there was at least a $65 charge either way. The second dealer, which is actually a Toyota dealer, said to bring in in & he’d try, (no charge if he couldn’t). He could not.

With all the used Lexus and other brand remotes sold online every day, I’m sure re programming of used remotes is possible.

Any help welcomed.

Obviously the point is that the car recognizes the smart key....i did it on my ’97 ES300 I’m sure I can do it on this car if I can find the steps.

Your 97 ES did not have a smart entry/smart start system. Its a high security system and you need the dealer's handheld in order to program new smart keys. 1997 was a long time ago. I've added additional keys on these systems, trust me you can't do it yourself. You may be able to program just the remote entry function, but the key won't start the car.

Think about it, your 97 ES required a physical key to be cut in order to start the car. The 350 allows you to start the car using only the key's link with the car's ECM as verification that you have the authority to start and operate the car.

If all you had to do was download a set of instructions off an internet forum and you could program any key to work with the system yourself, it wouldn't be very secure would it?

• 1 month later...

OK I contacted the dealer about re programming a remote. One person there quoted $65 and made it seem quite routine. A second person in the service dpmt quoted $125 and that there was only a 25% chance that the reprogramming would work, but the $125 would have to be paid if it worked or not.

Does anyone have any experience on this?

Its certainly routine, assuming that you have a new OEM smartkey, and the appropriate smartkey for your model. The second dealer likely doesn't want to be left holding the bag if you have an incompatible part.

I'd take it to the first dealer, $65 sounds reasonable.

• 2 weeks later...

Its certainly routine, assuming that you have a new OEM smartkey, and the appropriate smartkey for your model. The second dealer likely doesn't want to be left holding the bag if you have an incompatible part.

I'd take it to the first dealer, $65 sounds reasonable.

it’s a used remote.

• 2 weeks later...

Update: Re programming a used remote.

OK I called another Lexus dealer and talked to a “service writer“ and asked him about programming a used remote.

His reply was to say the least confusing. He did confirm that the car is programmed to match the remote, but if the remote was “used” the car could not be programmed to match that remote. I’m not sure I understand why.

Dozens of these used remotes are bought & sold online every day, so people are somehow able to make these remotes work.

Any thoughts or comments would be appreciated.

If the remote was originally for the ES...it should work. If it was for any other model though (and they all look the same) it won't work.

Personally I wouldn't spend $1 on an ebay used remote. Buy a new one from Sewell online or see if the dealer will price match. Too much opportunity to loose money buying the wrong remotes from ebay...and the new OEM remotes from Sewell aren't THAT expensive...

• 1 year later...

If the remote was originally for the ES...it should work. If it was for any other model though (and they all look the same) it won't work.

Personally I wouldn't spend $1 on an ebay used remote. Buy a new one from Sewell online or see if the dealer will price match. Too much opportunity to loose money buying the wrong remotes from ebay...and the new OEM remotes from Sewell aren't THAT expensive...

The dealer was asking about $300 (depend on each dealer). I bought the used one $50 from ebay with the same FCC/IC number and had a local shop program for me $60. If you are in Arlington TX then search for karnext.com. The shop is at downtown Arlington or search for lexus key program from google. I have two keys now and very happy with it.

• 4 months later...

I took a used keyfob to my dealer to program. He said he tried, failed, and charged me $50. Turns out the case had the right numbers on the outside, but the circuit board inside was different from my 2011 ES350. So I bought another used fob with the right circuit board inside and took it back to the dealer. Failed again but paid my $50 again.

It seems this dealer doesn't know how to reset the system and only knows how to program new keys.

I took it to the Toyota dealer who said "no problem." But the tech who would have done the work said he needed a code from Lexus, and since he was a Toyota dealer, he couldn't do it. Sorry. But at least he didn't charge me.