Daytime Running Lights Eliminator

Iv been a member to this amazing forum for quite a while and this is one of my first posts so here it goes.. I did some research on removing or eliminating my DRLs bc like everyone that complained, i cant stand the freakin yellow lights!!! I have pure white (slightly blue) LED strips in the empty space of my bumper next to the fog lights and i wired them in with the orange lights next to the low beams (not the turn signal light the smaller ones on the side) so the LED strips can be on with and without my low beams being on and they look AMAZING if only that 50% high beam DRL was not shining theyd look even better! So i made it my mission to get right of those DRLs without doing wire cutting or anything complicated like some people have said. Iv read in forums here and on other sites it cant be done without proper wiring and stuff like that i kinda skimmed that complicated stuff bc i dont like cutting things like wires bc i can possibly screw up.so this was what i did first, i said to myself "if i tint the lenses with Nite Shade window tints i can cover it up enough so the DRLs wont show in the day but i can still use the high beams at night". Seven coats of Nite Shade later i was done and the lenses looked sweet! But of course i became disappointed when the DRL lights were now RED! :cries: So im like wow this looks worse than the yellow so i took that off. Now for my second attempt. i said to myself, " well if i get HID lights, since they require more power to turn on the DRLs wont turn on since they wont be given enough power BUT when i turn on the high beams ill have enough power to use em". so i order 9005 HID bulbs for my 2006 gs300. I get them in the mail , im ecstatic ! now i plug them in and walk to the drivers seat to turn on the light..moment of truth...they turn on for a split second then right away they start to FLICKERR :angry: what i realized was that it was trying to turn on but it was not getting enough power BUT it was still getting enough power to flicker, i expected not enough power to even turn on...my hypothesis was a fail. So for those of you looking to get creative without playing with the wiring to get rid of the DRLs , here are 2 things your shouldnt do bc they failed with me..learn from me. Good luck to anyone else who tries accomplish what i didnt , and if anyone finds a way PLEASE let me know, if it involves wire cutting and what not , even though thats not my style idc anymore i just want them gone!

• 1 year later...

What about just getting 9005 LEDs? Even at half bright, they would still be pure white... Also, with HID lighting, are brights even necessary?! I can't think of a single time I've needed to use my brights. Fog and DL cover about 95% of all driving situations.

Hang-on!!!!! What kind of DRL did you buy? I'm looking at the installation guide to the Phillips DRL kit that doesn't need wire splicing. Install the kit and then pull the DRL fuse.

http://www.amazon.com/Philips-12824WLEDX1-DayLight-Powered-Daytime/dp/B005DX6BKW/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1350665262&sr=8-2&keywords=phillips+DRL

All you need to do is install a simple on/off switch and run a wire to the cabin. The DRL/high beam lights run in series during DRL mode, which means if one light is disconnected, the other one goes out automatically (like a string of christmas lights). Just pick one side headlight. Reach behind the headlight and find the two wires that feed the DRL bulb. Pick one of the two wires. Cut it. Install a switch between the cuts into the cabin (so you can control when electricity passes through it). If the switch is disconnected, electricity will be cut to the bulb which will cause both DRLs to go out. When the switch is on, everything will work as normal.

Here is the wiring diaram showing where you should place the wiring/switch.

fwjfaq.jpg

When the switch is closed, the headlights will work as they do now (no change). When the switch is open, the circuit will be broken, and both DRL's will turn off. It's as simple as that!

• 1 year later...