Low Oil Pressure Indicator

Carsie

I've checked the oil level and it is Full. The car has 230,000 and it runs great and sounds great, but the Low Oil Pressure light just started coming on. I immediately stopped to check the oil level and can't find anything wrong with it other than the Low Oil Pressure message. Any idea what may be causing the problem? Thanks!

At this point usually one of two things has happened - the sensor (sending unit) has failed or the engine actually has low oil pressure. To check the sensor can be replaced, or, if you have one, a mechanical ( direct reading ) master oil gauge is installed and the pressure determined from that. It's the type of gauge where the oil is conducted to the gauge itself.

I'd suspect the sending unit, but one has to be sure as the engine is at risk of course.

If it is low oil pressure, then the pan comes off and the pick-up screen can be checked. If that's clean the quest continues.

You've done the right thing by not running the engine. You'll run it one more time, briefly, for the master gauge check.

I've checked the oil level and it is Full. The car has 230,000 and it runs great and sounds great, but the Low Oil Pressure light just started coming on. I immediately stopped to check the oil level and can't find anything wrong with it other than the Low Oil Pressure message. Any idea what may be causing the problem? Thanks!

I'm assuming you actually mean 'low oil pressure' and not 'low oil level'. Two different things that can be indicated on your info display. The most likely cause for low oil pressure is debris on your oil pick-up screen. It's possible the oil pressure switch is faulty. Excessive bearing clearance will lower oil pressure as well, but you would be hearing noises by now. Either way, you should want to know that you have sufficient oil pressure. If your screen is getting clogged, it can get very expensive if it is not cleared. If it's the low oil level warning, it's probably just the oil level sensor failing. No biggie if you know the oil level is full.

Assumption: The light only comes on at or near engine idle. At 230,000 miles it is entirely possible that you have so much "leakage" throughout the engine that the low pump volume at idle cannot keep the pressure up to "standard".

Thanks for the responses. One more thing..... I just had some body work done to the car and just noticed that the battery had gone dead. The battery is less than a month old. For some reason, I believe that there is a link between the battery and the warning light, About two years ago, I had a battery problem and noticed that about every warning message on the system was being displayed. Does that sound possible that an electrical problem could be behind the low oil pressure warning message on the display?

At this point usually one of two things has happened - the sensor (sending unit) has failed or the engine actually has low oil pressure. To check the sensor can be replaced, or, if you have one, a mechanical ( direct reading ) master oil gauge is installed and the pressure determined from that. It's the type of gauge where the oil is conducted to the gauge itself.

I'd suspect the sending unit, but one has to be sure as the engine is at risk of course.

If it is low oil pressure, then the pan comes off and the pick-up screen can be checked. If that's clean the quest continues.

You've done the right thing by not running the engine. You'll run it one more time, briefly, for the master gauge check.

Not sure if my other note got out, but I also have an electrical problem that I believe may be causing the Low Oil Pressure level indicator to come on. II had a similar problem several years ago and when I replaced the battery it went away. In either case, I think that I cam going to have it towed into me local mechanic for him to go over it. Thanks again.