Changing Navigation Maps From Usa/canada To Korea

ch_47_doctor

This is a difficult question that really has never been explained. I purchased my 2008 LS460 in the USA...as a contractor working overseas I shipped my vehicle to Korea. I was wondering if anyone in Lexus land has ever ran across this question,

Can the maps for the USA/Canada be changed to a different country. I have heard they can and can't. I just think that being a HD system it's possible. I have driven Korean model 2008 LS460 and the only difference is their maps are in Korean and nothing else. Everything else is the same. Any advise or resolution would be fantastic!

It might be dangerous to try. People who have taken North American spec DVD based navigation equipped cars to Europe and tried or who have gotten into hidden menus and switched to another region have ended up with inoperable navagation systems that had to be replaced.

I suppose you could cross check the navigation system parts between your LS460 and the model sold in Korea but it might not be that simple. It's probably safer to use a portable GPS. Toyota sells an endless variation of their cars around the world with an amazing amount of customization for countries and regions.

• 4 weeks later...

This is a difficult question that really has never been explained. I purchased my 2008 LS460 in the USA...as a contractor working overseas I shipped my vehicle to Korea. I was wondering if anyone in Lexus land has ever ran across this question,

Can the maps for the USA/Canada be changed to a different country. I have heard they can and can't. I just think that being a HD system it's possible. I have driven Korean model 2008 LS460 and the only difference is their maps are in Korean and nothing else. Everything else is the same. Any advise or resolution would be fantastic!

I know this is an older post, but it appears that it never had an final answer to the problem.

I have done some research on the navigation map change with a Lexus dealer. This dealer has in turn looked into the same issue for two of their customers and learned that you CANNOT simply change maps by changing dvd's, or software downloads, etc. The whole Nav system must be changed for the geographic country you are in. No explanation from Lexus, just the way it works. Another member had the same situation last week for Europe. Same answer. However, in that case, it appeared that the U.K. and the Euro. Continent were bundled.

What I'm not sure of is if the Navigation system change can be done in the U.S.A. before a car is shipped or if it must be done in the country in question.

Paul