Lexus Is300 Starting Problem

Jennifer

A couple of days ago I noticed that my car (03 Lexus IS300) was taking longer than normal to crank. The starter is fine and the engine turns over it just seems like it doesn't fire to get the engine started up. Usually it takes a couple of seconds to start but now it seems like its taking 3 or 4 seconds longer than normal.

Also when this first started I would smell a gasoline smell after the car cranked. Now it has gotten worse to the point where sometimes the car won't crank on the first try and usually I am successful on the second crank.

Any ideas on what might be causing this? As of recently I feel like my car is starting to fall apart at 100k miles.

A couple of days ago I noticed that my car (03 Lexus IS300) was taking longer than normal to crank. The starter is fine and the engine turns over it just seems like it doesn't fire to get the engine started up. Usually it takes a couple of seconds to start but now it seems like its taking 3 or 4 seconds longer than normal.

Also when this first started I would smell a gasoline smell after the car cranked. Now it has gotten worse to the point where sometimes the car won't crank on the first try and usually I am successful on the second crank.

Any ideas on what might be causing this? As of recently I feel like my car is starting to fall apart at 100k miles.

First your car is barely getting going, mine's at 154 K and others are 200K plus so don't worry, these are well built reliable cars.

However things like batteries do get old and wear out or die.

Which brings us to your problem.

A few questions.

Please explain "crank" in our post, do you mean it is slow to turn over when you are trying to start ? or its turns over just as fast but doesn't fire ?

how old is battery ?

Do you have and can use a digital voltmeter ?

Is the Engine check light on ? If so get the codes read.

• 3 weeks later...

Try this. Not sure if I attached it correctly as it's my first attempt.L-TT-0055-11.pdf

• 2 weeks later...

that one sounds familiar. same thing happend to me when i had a bad charcoal canister. but also the evap was bad too. take it to a shop and hope it throws a code. good luck they are pretty expensive parts. Ran me around 750.00 to fix them both.

• 1 month later...

I had a 2001 IS300 with 105K miles on it. The car had the same problem as you described. I recently replaced the spark plugs but it still cranked more than usual before it start. Then couple months later...one morning the car didn't started at all. Tow truck gave it a jump start and it started just fine. The moment I put the car into D gear, it stalled. He did some test and convinced me that the alternator is dead. Therefore, it didn't charged the battery. Needless to say, the combination of bad alternator and old battery (more than 4yrs) will strain you in the middle of nowhere. Take the car to the shop and have it test by the professional. Good battery (700 cold AMP) $110 and a rebuild alternator with lifetime warranty from auto zone $150 will put at least another 5-6 years on your lexus. Good Luck. Ta.