2000 Lexus Es300 Fuel Gauge/receiver

I recently purchased a 2000 Lexus ES300. This being my first Lexus, a short question:

When the car is turned off, will the fuel gauge go back to empty or remain in the position of the fuel level? I believe that most cars will have that gas needle go to empty, once the engine is turned on the needle will jump to the actual fuel level.

I also noticed when I removed the instrument cluster that the temperature, speedometer, and tachometer needles can easily be moved without much resistance. The fuel needle has a lot more resistance. Is that normal?

The fuel gauges in some cars made by Toyota (like our 98 Camry V6) remain at the fuel level position when the ignition is off. The fuel gauges of other cars made by Toyota (like our 2000 LS400) show "empty" when the ignition is off. I have no idea why the design is different in different models and model years but I suspect your ES is more like our Camry since the 1997-2001 ES and Camry is mechanically just about identical.

Thanks, glad I got a reply to at least one of my questions I have posted in this Forum! This is the first Lexus (and first car with automatic transmission) I have owned, still figuring things out. I will then assume that the gas gauge will stay at the level regardless of engine ON or OFF. Any insight on the gas needle resistance? The problem I am trying to eliminate is that my gas receiver in the instrument cluster shows beyond full when I fill up. I asked 2 mechanics, one says fuel gauge, the other sending unit. I removed my sending unit yesterday, checked the wires for any physical damage, also cleaned the plate inside. I filled my car up today and it still goes beyond the FULL mark, though a bit less. Checking the fuel gauge is next.