Spark Plug Rethread

E-man

I have a 98 ES300, the other day the car started running rough and next thing that I knew it was making a loud knocking sound from the engine. The check engine light came on and it was P0306. I pulled out the coil from 6 and the bottom of the coil was burned and tattered. I attempted to vacuum out the debris when the spark plug came right out.

Turns out that the spark plug blew out of the engine thereby stripping the threading along the way. I went out the next day and bought a new coil and spark plug, unfortunately the threading to the spark plug was stripped. I bought a rethreading kit only to find that the die requires a 3/4 socket which will not fit down the well. I went to every parts store in an effort to find a socket that would fit the die and fit the well, to no avail. Has anybody in the forum experienced a situation with their ES300 where this happened?

I had a spark plug blow out on mine. What you need is a kit called Time-sert. You can find them on ebay, just do a search. Make sure that you buy a kit designed for the deep spark plug wells that these cars have, and not the shorter version. I paid about $100 for my kit, considering the alternative is to pull the head, these kits are cheap. When you cut the threads, and the insert seat, make sure that the tools have a good coat of grease. This will help catch the shavings. Then use a air compressor and appropriate fittings to blow out the cylinder.