Engine Oil Sludge Repair Payments

sailandpower

In March 2010, Lexus paid me 50%, $3,550 of a total $7,100 cost, for a remanufactured engine. Has anyone else had a recent similar problem? What % of the repair did Lexus pay?

For background, Lexus lost a class action lawsuit in 2007 that required Lexus to pay for the repair of engines that developed oil sludge problems. The problem was caused by a design fault. The cars affected were Lexus and Toyotas manufactured between 1997 to 2002 that used their 3L V6 engine. For details, see www.oilgelsettlement.com.

Thanks for your input.

Yes, with a class action lawsuit, lots of people, myself included, had/have this problem. I have a thread I started here (or on the other big Lexus forums) some time ago. You might do a search by subject or my nickname,…sorta interesting.

Ill reply again shortly when I have some time. I am surprised Lexus is still handing out money. Did you have really good service records or somthing? The payout was supposed to end in '98.

Regards, PK

Yes, I was able to show that I had met recommended oil change intervals. A key reason I did not get more than 50% is the repair shop manager (not a Lexus shop) wrote on his service report that I did not properly change oil. He wrote that because, in his experience, the owner is the primary cause of the problem.

One of the keys to getting historic records is to ask the chain service stations to search their historic records and give you a copy. I spoke to a paralegal that works for the attorney that continues to serve the Lexus settlement. I was told Lexus continues to pay 50% to 100% of the cost to repair these engines.

If I can show that others received a payment from Lexus of over 50%, I have a claim through the Lexus legal administrator to get additional funds.

Thanks for your help.

• 9 months later...

Yes, I was able to show that I had met recommended oil change intervals. A key reason I did not get more than 50% is the repair shop manager (not a Lexus shop) wrote on his service report that I did not properly change oil. He wrote that because, in his experience, the owner is the primary cause of the problem.

One of the keys to getting historic records is to ask the chain service stations to search their historic records and give you a copy. I spoke to a paralegal that works for the attorney that continues to serve the Lexus settlement. I was told Lexus continues to pay 50% to 100% of the cost to repair these engines.

If I can show that others received a payment from Lexus of over 50%, I have a claim through the Lexus legal administrator to get additional funds.

Thanks for your help.

Call your local dealership and be very polite and see what they say....

Work with them first, and if you dont feel you are getting any assistance raise it to Lexus of AMerica corporate office....Good luck....

ON WEDNESDAY LAST WEEK MY 2003 LEXUS RX300 LOW OIL PRESSURE LIGHT CAME ON WITH 115,000 MILES. THE TOYOTA DEALERSHIP I HAD IT TOWED TO SAID I AM JUST INSIDE THE 8 YR. 120 DAY PERIOD. THE TOYOTA SERVICE GUY SAID TO CALL LEXUS CUSTOMER SERVICE AND I DID. THEY SAID TO HAVE IT TOWED TO THE LEXUS DEALERSHIP TO CONFIRM WHAT THE TOYOTA DEALERSHIP DISCOVERED WHEN THEY PULLED THE FRONT VALVE COVER OFF. SLUDGE SLUDGE EVEN THOUGH I CHANGED THE OIL AND FILTER EVERY FIVE THOUSAND MILES. TOMORROW I WILL LOAD THE SUV ON A TRAILER AND TAKE IT 50 MILES TO THE LEXUS DEALERSHIP. HOPE I GET MORE THAN 50%.

Be careful, the warranty was only good thru 2002 cars...Unfortunately the lawsuit started before, but settled that year...my neighbors highlander had sludge and toyota told him to take a hike...he had a 2003...Highly suggest using full synthetic oil after the work is done.