Intermittent Starting Problem 95 Es 300

My 1995 ES 300 usually starts fine. Occasionally NOTHING happens when I turn the key to the Start position. No clicking, nothing. Headlights are bright, newish battery, newish ground strap (I had a corroded ground strap last year). Then if I try 30 min later it starts fine-- engine turns over briskly.

Could this be the start relay or is it the solenoid on the motor?

I read somewhere you have to pull the intake manifold to replace the starter motor and it's a $1K job.

Thanks

I believe that it is the sc where you need to pull the intake manifold to replace the starter. The ES starter is located in a more conventional location. Next time it acts up give the starter a "slight" hit with a hammer, it if starts up it is probably the starter. Anyone with basic auto repair skills should be able to change it in less than a hour. Just make sure that they disconnect the Neg terminal on the battery before starting. That way if they short the starter wires to grd there will be no problems.

I believe that it is the sc where you need to pull the intake manifold to replace the starter. The ES starter is located in a more conventional location. Next time it acts up give the starter a "slight" hit with a hammer, it if starts up it is probably the starter. Anyone with basic auto repair skills should be able to change it in less than a hour. Just make sure that they disconnect the Neg terminal on the battery before starting. That way if they short the starter wires to grd there will be no problems.

You are right-- my repair shop says it is $65 labor--- so must be 1 hr.

thank you for the advice.