Problems With Accelerating

DourdanLover

I have a 2001 RX300 with 63,000 miles. For the past 2 weeks whenever I have stopped and put my foot on the accelerator to go forward, I hear a grinding noise and the car shudders. I have to take my foot off the accelerator and go forward slowly and then pick up speed. I took it to the shop and $1,000.00 later; I still have the same problem. They claimed to never hear the sound, it occurs at least once every day, the most three times. Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you.

What did they do for the $1k? Did they diagnose the problem and what did they diagnose? Sounds like a brake hanging up, either the E-brake or a caliper problem. They certainly should have dug deeper from your description even if they didn't (or claim they didn't) hear the noise. The shuddering sounds like the e-brake, and once it gets moving the shoes glide over the surface of the drum. I THINK the e-brake has small drums built into the inside of the rear rotors. One of the retraction springs may be broken or the components are rusted and not fully retracting like they should.

I have the same problem with RX300 (2001) ~ 72000K, The problem started around 65K. It was occasional grinding noise during 0-10 mph. I went to dealer, they diagnosed it to be a VSC sensor, The noise became less frequent. recently it has become more frequent. It is just annoying to go in traffic (stop and go). Also when the grinding noise comes , i see the VSC(Skid) sign on the dash also.

If anyone got this issue resolved, please share.

Thanks.

• 3 months later...

My husband took my RX to the dealership and they told him it was the speed sensors in the rear wheels, they were rusted out. $1,2055 later, I will let you know if that solved the problem.

I have driven my RX for almost a week and no problems.

• 1 month later...

My husband took my RX to the dealership and they told him it was the speed sensors in the rear wheels, they were rusted out. $1,2055 later, I will let you know if that solved the problem.

I have driven my RX for almost a week and no problems.

dourdanlover, i have the exact same situation with my rx300. its very annoying. i took it to the dealer and was quoted almost the same price ~1300 dollars to clean the rush in the rear if the sensors break. if they can save the sensors its a 300 dollar job. i just wanted to know if its still driving well and did you think paying the 1200 bucks was worth it??