Swapped Rx300 Seat Cushion 2002 To My 99

indiana

I had a huge hole in my 1999 RX300 driver seat I bought a 2002 lower cushion from the junk yard. There are 2 cables coming out of the new cushion and only one coming from the old cushion, I have a matched socket for one of the wires, but none for the other the seat heats up, but i still don't know what the other cable is for? Does anyone know? This is for the lower cushion only.. THanks!.. Nick

I had replaced the seats in my old Rx300 once before, but ones from a 2002 into my 2003. All the cabes were the same.

Did you connect the cables from the upper part of the seat to the bottom? The upper part of the seat has a heating element and the side airbag. In the lower part, you've got another heating element, the seatbelt wires, and position controls.

I don't see how your old seat could have only had one plug... make sure you're not missing anything, especially not with the airbag or seatbelt plug wires.

Thanks for your response. I never had back heat in this car on either side, Maybe it was an option? I do have a rocker switch that operates both seats I noticed that it is different than other same year models It is (left) "driver seat on" (center) "both off" & (right) "both seats on". The seat I removed the newer cushion from had an outlet for this extra wire where my older seat does not. I am just wondering if it were another heat coil, or temp sensor inside the lower seat of some kind? I hope someone knows. Anyway I converted the left seat cushion from a 2002 to the right seat on my 1999 i don't know if that would make any difference either. The Airbag control was totally separate from any wiring I had to hook up for the lower seat as I changed only the lower cushion and not the frame or back seat The cushion is a little different than the 99 model in size, but not functionally or visually inept it still looks and functions correctly. Thanks!... Nick

What do you mean when you say you converted the left side from an '02 to the right side of your '99?

So you took a drivers side bottom from a 2002 and put it in the passenger side bottom of your 1999?

Or do you mean you replaced the passenger side bottom of the 2002 with the drivers side bottom of your 1999?

The passenger side bottom of the 01-03 will have an extra wire than the drivers side, as the passenger side seat bottom has a sensor installed to detect if a passenger is sitting in the seat. Not sure if this is what you could be talking about?

And yeh, the 01-03 Rx300ls have the upper side of the seats heated as well as the bottoms. Thought the 99 and 00 rx300 seats did this as well, but I could be wrong...

Also, the seat bottoms aren't symmetrical. The left thigh support for the drivers side is larger than its right side, and the same goes for the passenger side bottom. The thigh supports adjacent to the doors are wider than the ones adjacent to the center console.

Thanks you answered all my questions. It is a seat cushion from a 2002 Passenger side put into my older 1999 lexus driver side. I now notice a tiny difference, But it works and is comfortable. I would never had known about the difference if you hadn't told me. I could just swap the covers, but that would be much more work. I think I will leave well enough alone. Thanks for your help... Nick

Awesome, glad I could help. =)

I think you did the right thing not replacing just the leather covers, they're a pain to remove and install (made that mistake myself).