Oil In Heater Core = Need New Engine?!

Hi everyone,

I've got a GS300 w/ 125k miles and motor oil has been leaking into the passenger-side of the passenger compartment. Took it to the mechanic and he says that the heater core is leaking oil because the cylinder head gasket is blown. I'd originally thought it was caused by the valve cover gasket which was leaking, but he says that the oil is leaking from the heater core, which means motor oil got into the coolant pathways. He also says that the coolant was on empty and that's why only oil and not coolant was leaking into the passenger compartment. His explanation sounds logical, but I wanted to check with you guys who may have seen or experienced something similar.

The mechanic says it'll cost $1250 w/ labor to replace both the valve cover and cylinder head gasket, or I can get an used engine (60 - 80k mi) for around $1400. Additionally, it'll be $300 w/ labor to replace the heater core with a used one. He says he can disable the heater core by blocking it, but he doesn't know what would happen once he fills the radiator back w/ coolant. He says that if water gets into the engine block, then either water don't compress and blows out the engine or the engine oil will turn into cappuccino and cause engine failure.

Sounds like a lot of work just because the heater core is leaking oil.

What do you guys think?

Alex

I think you should change mechanics.

It's possible that the "heater core" is actually the "evaporator core", part of the AC system, and that it's leaking refrigerant oil. There is no way that the heater core could leak just oil - it would have to leak a lot of coolant with a tiny bit of oil in it, even in the worst case scenario.

Get a second opinion at least....

Hi everyone,

I've got a GS300 w/ 125k miles and motor oil has been leaking into the passenger-side of the passenger compartment. Took it to the mechanic and he says that the heater core is leaking oil because the cylinder head gasket is blown. I'd originally thought it was caused by the valve cover gasket which was leaking, but he says that the oil is leaking from the heater core, which means motor oil got into the coolant pathways. He also says that the coolant was on empty and that's why only oil and not coolant was leaking into the passenger compartment. His explanation sounds logical, but I wanted to check with you guys who may have seen or experienced something similar.

The mechanic says it'll cost $1250 w/ labor to replace both the valve cover and cylinder head gasket, or I can get an used engine (60 - 80k mi) for around $1400. Additionally, it'll be $300 w/ labor to replace the heater core with a used one. He says he can disable the heater core by blocking it, but he doesn't know what would happen once he fills the radiator back w/ coolant. He says that if water gets into the engine block, then either water don't compress and blows out the engine or the engine oil will turn into cappuccino and cause engine failure.

Sounds like a lot of work just because the heater core is leaking oil.

What do you guys think?

Alex

The heater core is supposed to contain only engine coolant NEVER oil. Usually when a head gasket fails you get coolant in the oil, turning it to sludge. I guess that it would be possible to have a blown head gasket around the pressure side of the oiling system and have it pump oil into the cooling system, but that has to be a rare occurrence.

I would get a second opinion