And The Problems Continue.

gabep

Well sorry G Man if he could reach down and try to grab the gas pedal with his hand then I would think that he could try putting the car in N. Or at least he was not so busy trying to control the car that it would be impossible to attempt to put the car in N or try shutting off the engine. G Man...I am not saying Toyota is not having problems...I just am not buying this as you call "victims" whole story. I think the whole thing just sounded funny I have listened to the 911 call a couple of different times and everytime the 911 operator tried to tell him something he could try it seemed like he just started rambling on. Who knows what actually happened to the car...I am sure that they will find out...and when they do I would not be surprised if this one case was not staged. People will do anything.

Even if this guy is a fake, how about all those other thousands of reports of sudden accelerations? Are they all fake too?

How about that CA policeman who crashed with his Lexus and kill his whole family, do you think he was faking it too?

This just goes to prove my point, people in general are so cynical these days. They presume everyone is out for a quick buck, I guess we are just a victim of our law sue happy society. It never seize to amaze me that people actually have more loyalty in a foreign car company than the human race.

The 911 operator asked him if he tried to put the car in N, no response from him. I just don't buy this one...come on he said he reached down with his hand and tried to free the gas pedal but did not try to shut the car off...or put it in N. CA is full of great actors...

Glad no one was hurt and hope that they get to the bottom of this whole thing soon.

G Man...I am not saying Toyota is not having problems...I just am not buying this as you call "victims" whole story. I think the whole thing just sounded funny I have listened to the 911 call a couple of different times and everytime the 911 operator tried to tell him something he could try it seemed like he just started rambling on.

Even if this guy is a fake, how about all those other thousands of reports of sudden accelerations? Are they all fake too?

How about that CA policeman who crashed with his Lexus and kill his whole family, do you think he was faking it too?

This just goes to prove my point, people in general are so cynical these days. They presume everyone is out for a quick buck, I guess we are just a victim of our law sue happy society. It never seize to amaze me that people actually have more loyalty in a foreign car company than the human race.

G Man-

You are reading to much into my post or not reading them at all. I have said Toyota is having problems, but I don't buy this ONE. It just seemed funny to me. In the business that I am in I see fraud all of the time...this has nothing to do with loyalty of a foreign car company or at least not to me. But I hope you do also consider the jobs that Toyota has brought to this country while GM and Ford are sending them out of this country. This is off subject and has nothing to do with this but I am not defending Toyota...they have problems...there have been deaths and multiple accidents. IT IS this case that I just don't buy...I could be wrong and this guy may have been a real "victim"... So what? I am able to express my opinion. I think if the guy had enough time to reach down and try to grab the gas pedal with his hand then he should have been able to also try shutting off the car or put it in N...my opinion has nothing to do with all of the other Toyota...Lexus problems at all. So I am not sure the point you are even trying to prove.

G Man-

You are reading to much into my post or not reading them at all. I have said Toyota is having problems, but I don't buy this ONE. It just seemed funny to me. In the business that I am in I see fraud all of the time...this has nothing to do with loyalty of a foreign car company or at least not to me. But I hope you do also consider the jobs that Toyota has brought to this country while GM and Ford are sending them out of this country. This is off subject and has nothing to do with this but I am not defending Toyota...they have problems...there have been deaths and multiple accidents. IT IS this case that I just don't buy...I could be wrong and this guy may have been a real "victim"... So what? I am able to express my opinion. I think if the guy had enough time to reach down and try to grab the gas pedal with his hand then he should have been able to also try shutting off the car or put it in N...my opinion has nothing to do with all of the other Toyota...Lexus problems at all. So I am not sure the point you are even trying to prove.

I wasn’t really pointing you out, even though I quoted you, I was merely pointing out how people in general are blaming all the victims in all these sudden acceleration incidents instead of blaming Toyota. What ever happen to innocent until proven guilty?

I am not saying this guy is not a fake either, but let’s give him the benefit of a doubt here. From what I understand is that the 911 operator ask his to put the car into neutral and then shut off the car. He had put the phone down so he could steer the car at 90 mph, so he did not hear the instructions. He was calling out mile markers to the 911 operator so the trooper would know where to find him. By the time the trooper caught up to him, the trooper can smell the brakes and see brake materials all over the high way. He also saw the car doing over 80 MPH with the brake lights on. He instruct the driver to put the car into neutral. The driver shake his head signaling to the police that it doesn’t work. The policeman then ask him to apply both feet on the brakes and engage the parking brakes. The car slow down to about 58 MPH, at that point he shut off the ignition.

G Man-

I wasn’t really pointing you out, even though I quoted you, I was merely pointing out how people in general are blaming all the victims in all these sudden acceleration incidents instead of blaming Toyota. What ever happen to innocent until proven guilty?

I am not saying this guy is not a fake either, but let’s give him the benefit of a doubt here. From what I understand is that the 911 operator ask his to put the car into neutral and then shut off the car. He had put the phone down so he could steer the car at 90 mph, so he did not hear the instructions. He was calling out mile markers to the 911 operator so the trooper would know where to find him. By the time the trooper caught up to him, the trooper can smell the brakes and see brake materials all over the high way. He also saw the car doing over 80 MPH with the brake lights on. He instruct the driver to put the car into neutral. The driver shake his head signaling to the police that it doesn’t work. The policeman then ask him to apply both feet on the brakes and engage the parking brakes. The car slow down to about 58 MPH, at that point he shut off the ignition.

Well, the CHP is on the case as is a chief tech from Toyota, and since the media isn't likely to let this get swept under the rug, looks like we'll soon find out how real this particular failure was. Stay tuned!

Watch a you tube video on how to slow down a Prius. Looked pretty simple getting the car in neutral. I know Toyota has a problem, but I don't trust this guy. He said he was scared the car would flip if he put in neutral? If you own a Toyota, haven't you been watching the news and all the reports on what to your car takes off on you? I did. Its not a big secret. This guys a joke and on his way to talk show world.

Tim

Watch a you tube video on how to slow down a Prius. Looked pretty simple getting the car in neutral. I know Toyota has a problem, but I don't trust this guy. He said he was scared the car would flip if he put in neutral? If you own a Toyota, haven't you been watching the news and all the reports on what to your car takes off on you? I did. Its not a big secret. This guys a joke and on his way to talk show world.

Tim

The guy said the Prius almost flip a few times, I am sure driving a Prius over 90 MPH on a windy two lane highway in traffic is no fun. The Prius is not exactly a good handling car.

I just read this article about this Sikes guy. The Prius he was driving was equipped with Toyota's brake over ride system. If he was a fake, there would not be a way for him to brake and accelarate at the same time with this system in place. That is exactly what the policeman saw when he was driving next to him, his brake lights were on and the Prius was still accelarating.

http://bostonherald.com/business/automotiv...uto#articleFull

I tried this on my Prius...floor the accelerator and press the brakes...immediately goes to idle.

You can illuminate the brake lights by just barely applying the brakes while driving. You have to APPLY the brakes to make the accelerator kick off. For instance you can barely apply the brakes and make the lights come on without canceling the cruise control.

I think this guy's a fraud.

I tried this on my Prius...floor the accelerator and press the brakes...immediately goes to idle.

You can illuminate the brake lights by just barely applying the brakes while driving. You have to APPLY the brakes to make the accelerator kick off. For instance you can barely apply the brakes and make the lights come on without canceling the cruise control.

I think this guy's a fraud.

There is no evidence so far that this guy is a fraud, just speculations due to his pass history. When the CA police was next to him, he can smell the brakes from the Prius because Sikes was pushing the brakes so hard, at the same time, the Prius was accelerating. If all system was working properly, the brake over ride should have stop the engine. Here is a quote from his attorney.

"Gomez said the best evidence that his client was frantically slamming the brakes is that a California Highway Patrol officer who was giving Sikes instructions over a loudspeaker smelled burning brakes and saw the lights on."

Just release by Toyota: The black box data shows that the accelerator and the brake had been rapidly pressed, alternately back and forth, 250 times," Mike Michels, vice president of corporate communications for Toyota Motor Sales USA, told a press conference.

Its looks more and more like this guy is a fake.

Just release by Toyota: The black box data shows that the accelerator and the brake had been rapidly pressed, alternately back and forth, 250 times," Mike Michels, vice president of corporate communications for Toyota Motor Sales USA, told a press conference.

Like I said people will do anything.

Like I said people will do anything.

250 times means panick! Either he was trying to undo a stuck pedal or he decided to blame Toyota instead of collecting a ticket for speeding! :P