Ignition Coils

rkim711

There are six (6) coils - one for each cylinder. I had one to fail in 2008; another to fail in 2009; and I preemptively replaced the other four last year. I think I was seeing the pattern. These are plug-and-play components and are a fairly easy DIY if you're so inclined. Any Toyota dealer will replace a coil for less than his Lexus sibling across the street. I did some online shopping and there is money to be saved. Autohausaz has them on sale now for ~$71 each. There seem to be two different aftermarket coils available with one costing about $20 more than the other. Since there are aftermarket coils available, most any of the Big Box auto parts stores (NAPA, Advance, AutoZone, etc.) can probably quote them for you. You will pay more at either a Toyota or Lexus parts counter. I forget the price from the dealer but I do remember it was in excess of $100 per coil. This sounds like either a DIY job or something your local Toyota/Lexus independent technician should do. Lotsa luck.

There are six (6) coils - one for each cylinder. I had one to fail in 2008; another to fail in 2009; and I preemptively replaced the other four last year. I think I was seeing the pattern. These are plug-and-play components and are a fairly easy DIY if you're so inclined. Any Toyota dealer will replace a coil for less than his Lexus sibling across the street. I did some online shopping and there is money to be saved. Autohausaz has them on sale now for ~$71 each. There seem to be two different aftermarket coils available with one costing about $20 more than the other. Since there are aftermarket coils available, most any of the Big Box auto parts stores (NAPA, Advance, AutoZone, etc.) can probably quote them for you. You will pay more at either a Toyota or Lexus parts counter. I forget the price from the dealer but I do remember it was in excess of $100 per coil. This sounds like either a DIY job or something your local Toyota/Lexus independent technician should do. Lotsa luck.

I replaced two on my 00 RX 300, $105 each from the dealer.

Did somebody say coil?? I've also replaced all of mine and you can read all about it here

http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums/index...448&hl=coil.

I actually found them cheaper at my local (har-har) 30 mile away Lexus dealer, they had them for about $91 each while my very local Toyota dealer ( 3 miles away that wont work on my Lexus) wanted $105. I could have got aftermarkets cheaper but I wanted them immediately as I was without a drive.

Its true they are very easy to replace except for the 1 and 3 in the rear, they are a contortionists challenge but definitely possible even without removing too many parts.