1991 Ls 400 Shift Button Sticking

shels475

Hello,

I have been havinig a lot of problems with my car lately. The newest thing is each morning when I go to leave the drive I have to sit for 10 minutes and keep pushing the button on the shifter as it will not let me move the car out of park. I am pushing the override shift button and it does not help. I dont understand why this happening. It just started this week.

I am really afraid I am going to be told this is the transmission. As I just got the car fixed last week for an ignition coil and this week is the rack and pinon. I really dont need the transmission to be next week.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

It's not transmission related in the way you're concerned. The shiftlock and release mechanism is a separate unit with an electric solenoid, though the override is mechanical. You can remove the wood trim easily and look down in the shifter to see what part isn't releasing, and go from there. It's not a huge issue though and certainly not signs of a huge expense.

It's not transmission related in the way you're concerned. The shiftlock and release mechanism is a separate unit with an electric solenoid, though the override is mechanical. You can remove the wood trim easily and look down in the shifter to see what part isn't releasing, and go from there. It's not a huge issue though and certainly not signs of a huge expense.

Thank you. That does help ease my mind.

i agree with eatingupblacktop, i had a bad stoplight switch and a bad fuse. After i replaced both and adjusted the switch properly I've gotten brake lights again. The car will not shift unless it detects the brake lights are functioning properly. the shiftlock release has to be pushed down quite a ways for it work.

• 2 months later...

I'm having a similiar problem with my car. Sometimes I can shift the gear without using the override and sometimes I can't. Brake lights are working and mechanic says brake switch is fine. How can I easily remove the wood trim? Mechanic says whole center console must be pulled out and that will be a lot of $!

I'm having a similiar problem with my car. Sometimes I can shift the gear without using the override and sometimes I can't. Brake lights are working and mechanic says brake switch is fine. How can I easily remove the wood trim? Mechanic says whole center console must be pulled out and that will be a lot of $!

#1 find another mechanic!

#2 follow the link below 1st picture shows trim removal

http://www.lexls.com/tutorials/audio/headunit.html

#1 find another mechanic!

#2 follow the link below 1st picture shows trim removal

http://www.lexls.com/tutorials/audio/headunit.html

Thank you!