Dull Chrome Trim On Rear Bumper

am i the only one who relizes that on mostly evey 98-05 gs the rear bumber chrome trim is dull like not shiny as the rest of the chrome trim around the car so has any one noticed this and has done something about it and how. thanks

am i the only one who relizes that on mostly evey 98-05 gs the rear bumber chrome trim is dull like not shiny as the rest of the chrome trim around the car so has any one noticed this and has done something about it and how. thanks

Polish it.....

Only thing is that it might be hard to polish easily because it's recessed in the bumper. You'd also want to start with a low abrasive polish and move up to a more aggressive polish only if you need to because you don't want to wear through the chrome plating.

You could try some Optimum Metal Polish or Collinite Metal polish (both Collinite and Optimum make some pretty damn good products!).

You'll want to protect the chrome after you've polished it, so the products I've recommended above both leave behind some sort of protection on the chrome, the Collinite leaves behind a wax and the Optimum a polymer coating.

You could also try an OTC metal polish from somewhere like Pepboys or Autozone and then apply some car wax or sealant afterwards, but it's unlikely the OTC products will work as well as the Collinite or Optimum products.

If you do polish, be sure to add some how too pics on here for others with this problem B)

Cheers,

Matt.

• 8 months later...

My chrome trim was dull beyond repair so I decided to replace it. I removed the old trim by taking a small flat head screw driver and covered it with some electrical tape to protect the finish and pried off the old trim near the ends where it tucks under the bumper. Once you get an end pried out you can pull the trim off all around the rest of the way. I purchased quarter inch chrome trim from an auto parts store, it was much thinner than the trim Lexus used so it set too deep in the grove. So i purchased quarter inch double sided tape strip and ran it through the groove in the bumper first and then next put on the trim and this set it up just right to look like brand new again. Total cost was less than $20 and was very simple and the impact it had on the appearance was well worth the small investment in time! I can post some pictures if you like?