Clear Side Marker Lights

Enz

Are there any DOT approved clear side marker lights? My rear side marker bulbs are out so I might as well replace both the front and rear now. I've seen some clear ones on ebay and I was thinking of using amber (fr) and red(rr) lights. Where can I get (and what brands) good quality lights? From what I've read is that it depends on what state you are in and if you are willing to risk getting hassled about it.

Do you have it? How long? How are they holding up? Did the stock bulb socket fit without a problem? Would one for an IS300 work?

Thanks!

Enz

Don't know your state in. Might call you're local hi-way patrol. I downloaded specs for my boat trailer and they 're pretty good but a bit vague. I do know in the Porsche world, that's very common and I've never heard of someone being called on it.. They call it "de-ambering" and tale every vestige of a,amrer plastic off.

Try Rennetec or Bioxster forums, search and see if there are any legal caveat's.

Regards, PK

No law against either, just as long as they "illuminate" the correct colors (either white or amber in the front, and red in the rear).

I wanted to do this when i had my Rx300 but never got around to it... I found two clear types on ebay, one with a totally clear case and the other with more of a clear "reflector" pattern cover. I liked the second version best. I believe the front is identical to the back (just switch the sides).

And the marker for the IS300 is different but some sellers state they're for both...

This i do remember. <_<

If we saw the same ones, the euro clear is the totally clear case and reflector pattern is the OBX the one you and I like better. The problem is that this is only available for the front and the vendor says it won't fit the rear. But I think the LF can go on the RR and the FR can go on the LR, like u said just switch sides.

So u think the IS300 is really different? I thought either the frt or rr is the same with the RX300 but not both.

Has anyone replaced both front and rear and noticed if they are the same/interchangable?

Do the newer Euro cars really have these euro clear type lenses?

Thanks for the replies guys!

post-110367-1266208113_thumb.jpg

post-110367-1266208142_thumb.jpg

The Euro Rx's don't have clear, they're just like ours.

I like the ones pictured on the left. I'm pretty sure the IS300 ones won't fit on the RX...

And i also think the front and rear markers for the Rx are symmetrical. Examine each to confirm they're the same shape.

Enz,

I put the clear side markers off ebay in about 6 months ago. I had to enlarge the hole in the bumper a little bit with a 'nibbler' from radioshack. they're kind of a tricky to get in unless you're willing to completely remove the bumper. I just disconnected the sides and pulled the bumper out enough to get a wrench in and tighten the one retaining nut. I put white LED's in front and back, and they look really neat. They match the whiteness of the HID's in front, and license plate LED's in back. Pulls everything together in the dark. I think they just look cleaner than the orange and amber too. Only prob I've had is one of the LED's went out on me! they're supposed to last forever though. Might just be a loose connection. I'll find out today and let you know. Highly recommended. Get em'

Dan

Thanks for all the replies!

NJDan,

who did u buy the clear side markers and LEDs from? Will definitely get them now but not sure where to get them from on ebay and where/what color of LEDs, I think I'm going with white in front (though I don't have HIDs) and white or red on the back side markers?

What do you think? White on both or red on the back?

Thanks!

Enz

Hmmm.. I was going to get them from that guy too but how much did you have to enlarge the cutouts? I want to be able to install the original sidemarkers in case I end up selling the vehicle later on. It only has 34K miles. Would the originals still fit without any gaps if u had to re-install them?

Did u replace your front park lights too? I heard that leds don't last long in the headlight housing because it gets too hot in there? But ours is not sharing the reflector with the headlight so I was wondering if its ok.

As long as you get LED bulbs that have built in voltage regulators and heatwinks they should be find in the headlights. HIDconcept.com has several good ones, as does V-LED's. If they say "error canceler" or anything like that you should be good. Check the bulb for little black square electrical devices. Also check input voltage- some LED bulbs are only wired for 12V but others are rated for 11.5-14.5V which is necessary. <_<

• 2 weeks later...

Hmmm.. I was going to get them from that guy too but how much did you have to enlarge the cutouts? I want to be able to install the original sidemarkers in case I end up selling the vehicle later on. It only has 34K miles. Would the originals still fit without any gaps if u had to re-install them?

No I didn't replace the parking lights. just the front and rear sidemarkers. The rear mounting holes didn't have to be enlarged much, and the old ones will definitely go back in and cover the enlarged mount hole. Put em' in! they look great