Road Test Gs300

Hello guys,

I took my car to a dealer for the front dash rattle fix as well as checking for another random noise. When I picked up the car, I noticed that they added 30 miles on the car and I thought that's more than normal for road test. I asked the service consultant when I was there if 30 miles for road test is normal. He said it's normal for big rattling repair. Actually, when I first dropped off the car, the guy recorded 30 miles more than the actual on my odometer. I thought that's weird and even pointed it out to the service consultant. He confirmed I was right but didn't change the 'odometer in' on the paperwork. Anyways, they really drove 30 miles on my car afterall and my gas tank was empty. Do you guys think driving 30 miles for road test is normal? A few miles more, not a BIG deal but I am just concerned what they did with my car. I don't want to be a complainer but just want to see other people's opinions. Thanks.

For the rattle fix, I don't see where 30 miles is unreasonable, so long as there are no more rattles. It would seem to me they really wanted to make sure that the noises were gone. Are they? If so, suggest you move on...not worth worrying about!

For the rattle fix, I don't see where 30 miles is unreasonable, so long as there are no more rattles. It would seem to me they really wanted to make sure that the noises were gone. Are they? If so, suggest you move on...not worth worrying about!

Yeah definitely agree <_<

Hello guys,

I took my car to a dealer for the front dash rattle fix as well as checking for another random noise. When I picked up the car, I noticed that they added 30 miles on the car and I thought that's more than normal for road test. I asked the service consultant when I was there if 30 miles for road test is normal. He said it's normal for big rattling repair.

Dealers don't have time to let their techs go for joy rides or pick up groceries. A few miles the first time to locate the point of rattle and undetermined noises. A repair. A subsequent road test. Maybe a followup tweak. A final road test. Not at all unreasonable. Don't forget, the dealership doesn't particularly want any claims on their insurance because their staff is making personal use of a customer's car. They also don't want the customer coming back for the same repair. Doesn't mean you shouldn't inspect the car before you drive away. Good job reading the estimate though. Most just sign the work order without reading it, then complain they weren't aware of some items on the bill. The writeup for the repair is the place to ask questions and make sure nothing's been added or missed.

..... and my gas tank was empty.

Don't follow. Since when does 30 miles drain the tank? :huh:

Hello guys,

I took my car to a dealer for the front dash rattle fix as well as checking for another random noise. When I picked up the car, I noticed that they added 30 miles on the car and I thought that's more than normal for road test. I asked the service consultant when I was there if 30 miles for road test is normal. He said it's normal for big rattling repair. Actually, when I first dropped off the car, the guy recorded 30 miles more than the actual on my odometer. I thought that's weird and even pointed it out to the service consultant. He confirmed I was right but didn't change the 'odometer in' on the paperwork. Anyways, they really drove 30 miles on my car afterall and my gas tank was empty. Do you guys think driving 30 miles for road test is normal? A few miles more, not a BIG deal but I am just concerned what they did with my car. I don't want to be a complainer but just want to see other people's opinions. Thanks.

Did the tech drive your car home? A lot of them do that to save tech hours, but they are suppose to ask you 1st.

Hello guys,

Did the tech drive your car home? A lot of them do that to save tech hours, but they are suppose to ask you 1st.

Highly unlikely, and you're right - they should ask, but an advantage if the prob is difficult to locate - and noises are right behind intermittent issues in terms of difficulty. The tech not only solves the prob but has extra time to assess the rest of the car and often will notice something requiring attention that the owner wasn't aware of. I had a great tech that used to service my Volvo until he left the shop and I decided to take over the duties because they didn't have anyone who could replace him that I could trust. He'd suggest leaving the car with him to take home for intermittent issues that would happen from time to time. Aside from solving the prob, he would always bring my attention to one thing or another that could become expensive if it wasn't dealt with in a timely fashion. He would also suggest fixing minor items myself because the dealership would charge the flat rate regardless of how quickly it could be done. They come around rarely, and as I've said before, if you find one they're gold!

30 miles to find a rattle is totally reasonable. Depending on road conditions, outside/inside temperatures, etc. if you want them to recreat the complaint then 30 miles may even have been too short.

I recently left my car with the dealership because of a strange electronic "quirk". With permission, the service team leader drove it to and from work (20 miles roundtrip) for 5 days. That would be 100 miles. It used about 5 gallons of gas. No big deal. I had their loaner for a week and used a whole tank. While they had my car, they unplugged every computer connection, reseated every connector, checked every circuit but couldn't recreate the problem that caused the U1019 trouble code. I got the car back less 5 gallons of gas and with the added miles. They didn't charge me for the diagnostic so called that one budget neutral.

steviej