Exhaust Manifold With Catalytic Converter

ninalew

I have a 2002 IS300 and when the check engine light went on last week I was told by dealer that I need a catalytic converter. Then they said that the part is actually an exhaust manifold with catalytic converter made into it. The cost is $1400. Is this normal to pay such a price? My car is a base model and I don't have any sport accessories on it; I am just looking for standard stuff. I called a shop and was told that putting anything other than a genuine Lexus part would only last 12-18 months then I'd be back in the same boat. Do I have any real options here? :cries:

I have a 2002 IS300 and when the check engine light went on last week I was told by dealer that I need a catalytic converter. Then they said that the part is actually an exhaust manifold with catalytic converter made into it. The cost is $1400. Is this normal to pay such a price? My car is a base model and I don't have any sport accessories on it; I am just looking for standard stuff. I called a shop and was told that putting anything other than a genuine Lexus part would only last 12-18 months then I'd be back in the same boat. Do I have any real options here?:cries:

why would an aftermarket one only last 12 -18 moinths ?

how about getting a used "good" one from a forum member?

check the classifieds

there was one for sale here in dallas on craigslist.

I have a 2002 IS300 and when the check engine light went on last week I was told by dealer that I need a catalytic converter. Then they said that the part is actually an exhaust manifold with catalytic converter made into it. The cost is $1400. Is this normal to pay such a price? My car is a base model and I don't have any sport accessories on it; I am just looking for standard stuff. I called a shop and was told that putting anything other than a genuine Lexus part would only last 12-18 months then I'd be back in the same boat. Do I have any real options here?:cries:

why would an aftermarket one only last 12 -18 moinths ?

how about getting a used "good" one from a forum member?

check the classifieds

there was one for sale here in dallas on craigslist.

I don't know why he said that. That's why I posted here. I wanted to get other opinions or see if anyone else had been told that. I will check the classifieds. Thanks for the suggestion.