Blower / Heater

Hi, I own a 98 GS300 and I'm having an problem with the heater. When I activate and the temp gauge is set to 73 degrees on the dash.. the heater will run once the car warms up... but the blower runs then stops..runs then stops.. intermitant at best... ?? even though I'm calling for heat. I was wondering if this sounds like the blower motor or the blower control module. I'm not good with testing the voltage etc... but heard that a blower motor can act up if the brushes are worn. Its just really odd because it will run but then shuts down and then turns on again..the blower is very eratic... Any suggestioins would be greatly appreciated.. Thanks !

Hi, I own a 98 GS300 and I'm having an problem with the heater. When I activate and the temp gauge is set to 73 degrees on the dash.. the heater will run once the car warms up... but the blower runs then stops..runs then stops.. intermitant at best... ?? even though I'm calling for heat. I was wondering if this sounds like the blower motor or the blower control module. I'm not good with testing the voltage etc... but heard that a blower motor can act up if the brushes are worn. Its just really odd because it will run but then shuts down and then turns on again..the blower is very eratic... Any suggestioins would be greatly appreciated.. Thanks !

I have a fan motor assembly. sounds more like the control module though I have a non GPS control unit as well.

BP

I had the same issue when I purchased my GS300. Actually, mine was not working at all. I go it diagnosed from lexus and they informed me it was the Blower motor control/Blower Motor. For what ever reason, this was listed as one part. I will get the part # for what they replaced and post it for you if you still need it

• 2 weeks later...
I had the same issue when I purchased my GS300. Actually, mine was not working at all. I go it diagnosed from lexus and they informed me it was the Blower motor control/Blower Motor. For what ever reason, this was listed as one part. I will get the part # for what they replaced and post it for you if you still need it

Hey thanks for your help - well I decided to take out the blower motor and test it first. I did this by attaching jumper cables to my battery and then adding two extension wires from the pos. and neg...then suspended the blower motor and touched the cables to the leads and VRROOOOM the motor ran fine... so I decided to dig deeper to take out the blower motor module. Now this sits back under the glove box on the left. To get to it you have to remove the glove box and the bottom decorative kick plate. Then you have to unsnap wires from their housings unscrew some and unhook others. Then you have to remove the plastic blower tube which lets warm are into the car - it is snapped together so it comes in two pieces, just remove the one piece. And there behind it you will see the blower module. About the size of a pack of cigarettes. Its held in place by one screw - undo that and then you can pull it out while unplugging the two wire harnesses to it. It actually sits in an opening and has a heat sink on it which adjusts the speed of the blower motor. It cost around $250.00, but I figured I saved about $500.00 on labor - When I replaced it and put everything back... RUNS GREAT!! .... Its amazing when you get under the dash and see how Lexus is made- it really is made quite well, each component is snapped and tied down. It just feels great to have heat again!!...

Hey thanks for your help - well I decided to take out the blower motor and test it first. I did this by attaching jumper cables to my battery and then adding two extension wires from the pos. and neg...then suspended the blower motor and touched the cables to the leads and VRROOOOM the motor ran fine... so I decided to dig deeper to take out the blower motor module. Now this sits back under the glove box on the left. To get to it you have to remove the glove box and the bottom decorative kick plate. Then you have to unsnap wires from their housings unscrew some and unhook others. Then you have to remove the plastic blower tube which lets warm are into the car - it is snapped together so it comes in two pieces, just remove the one piece. And there behind it you will see the blower module. About the size of a pack of cigarettes. Its held in place by one screw - undo that and then you can pull it out while unplugging the two wire harnesses to it. It actually sits in an opening and has a heat sink on it which adjusts the speed of the blower motor. It cost around $250.00, but I figured I saved about $500.00 on labor - When I replaced it and put everything back... RUNS GREAT!! .... Its amazing when you get under the dash and see how Lexus is made- it really is made quite well, each component is snapped and tied down. It just feels great to have heat again!!...

I'm glad you fixed a problem that plaqued alot of 2nd Gen GS owners. What you did was actually the first thing I did as well BUT sadly, it didn't work for long. That part you removed reminded me of a old NES game but the size of a pack of cigs.

Were you able to get all fan speeds back from this repair? When I originally had that part replaced, I only got back medium fan speed. My repair was a little more extensive unfortunately and Lexus had to get involved for the final fix up :angry: